Import Datum entities into A2+

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
toralf

Re: Import Datum entities into A2+

Post by toralf »

Thank you for your replies and the information. It gives a good picture of the status. Much appreciated. Also for your effort you have put into this in the past.
kbwbe
Veteran

Post by kbwbe »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm @Klaus, it would be nice to test the addition of a Datum Plane... this item is much similar to a Face, so probably it would be much easier to add constraints to this kind of item compared to LCSs.
Yes, having selectable geometry as such plane could ease making new constraints for that.
easyw-fc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm As an alternative, the Datum Plane could be imported as a Plane (as I simulated in my attached file)...
Perhaps this is a very good idea. What about importing a LCS and converting it to some kind of interface with 3 axis, 3 planes, a center point. Everything being seperatly selectable for doing constraints ? I think it is less work for users to work with a LCS instead of placing several datum geoms.
KBWBE

https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus
latest release: v0.4.56, installable via FreeCAD's addon manager
Tutorial: gripper assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxcQ5tssWk
Documentation: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/A2plus_Workbench
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

kbwbe wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am
easyw-fc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm @Klaus, it would be nice to test the addition of a Datum Plane... this item is much similar to a Face, so probably it would be much easier to add constraints to this kind of item compared to LCSs.
Yes, having selectable geometry as such plane could ease making new constraints for that.
easyw-fc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm As an alternative, the Datum Plane could be imported as a Plane (as I simulated in my attached file)...
Perhaps this is a very good idea.
I think a start could be done with a Datum Plane imported as a Plane.. this should be quite simpler to be implemented and could be used immediately by a large amount of users (many of them are already using Datum Plane as a reference for their Body Part Designs).
This could already solve some topological issues, removing the link to deleted/renamed faces and introducing the link to Datum Plane faces...
kbwbe wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am What about importing a LCS and converting it to some kind of interface with 3 axis, 3 planes, a center point. Everything being seperatly selectable for doing constraints ? I think it is less work for users to work with a LCS instead of placing several datum geoms.
This would be an other big improvement. I like the idea of the conversion to adapt the Datum items to A2p constraint mode :D
toralf

Post by toralf »

I started to read a phython tutorial for beginners. But i assume it will take weeks before i will be able to even read and somehow understand the code of the WB. Not even talking about contributing yet. But I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the open discussion and your consideration.