TODO for assembly branch

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jrheinlaender

TODO for assembly branch

Post by jrheinlaender »

Could we use this thread to list open items that need to be done on the Assembly branch before it can be integrated into master?

Also maybe a short description of how others can work on the branch so that pulling their changes into the original SF branch is not too complicated?

Jan
jriegel
Founder

Re: TODO for assembly branch

Post by jriegel »

Mhh,
the Assembly module is not the problem. That I would instantly merge.
The bigger problem is the Body feature and the collaterals in the PartDesign module.
It will have a lot of impact for most of the commands and dialogs.

Also I still have no good idea how I do the visual switching of the children of Body.
Stop whining - start coding!
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

I'm happy to work on open items in the PartDesign module if you give me some hints on what needs to be done
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Hi Jan, that would be great!

I made two posts on the Assembly and PartDesign forum and write down the status and needed ToDos.
Especally PartDesign the first two items would have to be done before thinking on merging Assembly branch to master and work on the other items.

Another think I have soon to work on is Naming!
Stop whining - start coding!
psi13art

Post by psi13art »

Look very nice!!

What about add assembly.fstd how part of product?

product->part->part->part
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

nice to see the workbench in action :) Please report any thing that doas not work as expected solver wise. About the extra document, as I understand the assembly roadmap it is planned, however, with all the missing things it's not a top prio.
nonlimited

Post by nonlimited »

ickby wrote:nice to see the workbench in action :) Please report any thing that doas not work as expected solver wise. About the extra document, as I understand the assembly roadmap it is planned, however, with all the missing things it's not a top prio.
A post of mine regarding solver issue has been moved to another thread. So here is my original post. Should I point out any solver issues inside THIS thread?

Solver Issue (Yay ;))

I have appended a file, do demonstrate what I want to to:
Align the cylinder into the edge of the block such that the cylinder-surfaces touches both plane surfaces parallel to the cylinder-surface.

If I want to do this with the alignment-tool or the coincidence tool, this does not work. It gives useless results as soon as you align the cylinder to two different plane surfaces.

Stupid side question: where is the difference in coincidence and alignment tool beside the possible offset along the surface normal?
Attachments
test2.fcstd
(10.34 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

nonlimited wrote:A post of mine regarding solver issue has been moved to another thread. So here is my original post. Should I point out any solver issues inside THIS thread?
Read the very first message of this topic. I moved your post for a reason, it has nothing to do with the subject here.
jrheinlaender wrote:Could we use this thread to list open items that need to be done on the Assembly branch before it can be integrated into master?
I ran out of time, I think psi13art's screenshot should also be moved elsewhere as well, even if it's cool. This is developer talk here...

Maybe we could create a new topic about Assembly bugs? Like jrheinlaender did in the Part Design forum... Jan, your thoughts? You started this topic after all.
project4

Post by project4 »

I think that having 1 thread for all reported bugs will be a big mess.
The bugs should probably be reported in bugtracker, that's what it's intended for.
Forums should be used for questions and discussions.

My 2 cents.
nahshon

Post by nahshon »

project4 wrote:I think that having 1 thread for all reported bugs will be a big mess.
The bugs should probably be reported in bugtracker, that's what it's intended for.
Forums should be used for questions and discussions.

My 2 cents.
Bugtrackers are good for completed features, not for features that are still under heavy development. Unless developers explicitly request that bugs should be reported in Mantis, don't use it for code that is not in the master branch.