Assembly4 and TechDraw

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly4 and TechDraw

Post by Zolko »

LSoltmann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Code: Select all

GeomConvert::SurfaceToBSplineSurface() - Infinite surface
yeah, that's clearly a bug. Unfortunately, SurfaceToBSplineSurface doesn't exist in the current FreeCAD source code :

Code: Select all

grep -r SurfaceToBSplineSurface .
doesn't return anything, though SurfaceToBSplineSurface does exist in the OCC code:

https://dev.opencascade.org/doc/occt-7. ... nvert.html

Unfortunately also, the maintainer of the TechDraw workbench (wandererfan) is no longer around. What would be good is to try to narrow down the problem to a minimum. Ideally, even without using Assembly4 and only using pure links
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
LSoltmann

Post by LSoltmann »

After playing around with it some more, it appears that the bearings are causing some of the problems (they are STEP files from McMaster). If I remove them from the assembly, then I can 'Insert a View' of the 'Model' no problem and all components show up. However, the issue from my previous post about the error with the individual assembly component vs the PartDesign component still remains. Weird that TechDraw can import the assembly as a whole but not an individual component from it.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

LSoltmann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm After playing around with it some more ...
However, the issue from my previous post about the error with the individual assembly component vs the PartDesign component still remains. Weird that TechDraw can import the assembly as a whole but not an individual component from it.
I have played with it also, and it's not Assembly4 specific, it can be reproduced with pure FreeCAD Part, Body and Link. It's as you describe:

• The entire Model can be imported (and drawn) in TechDraw
  • The Body can be imported in TechDraw
  • But the Part (rather: a link-to the part in the Model) containing the Body cannot be displayed
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
MeSat

Post by MeSat »

Information that may help others.

I am using a FreeCAD 0.20.2 and am creating drawings with TechDraw of an Assembly4 model.

I was creating drawings from a model built in Assembly4 and had selected the parts I wanted to be in the drawing view, and selected all by selecting the model. I inserted my views, scaled them and then went to change the items I wanted in a new view. Followed the same procedure and created the views I wanted on a new page. I went back to the first page and found that all my views had changed to correspond with the view I was inserting into the second page. Argh!!

With some playing, I figured out how to get around this issue that I wanted to share. It may be an issue in larger assemblies but it works.

To create views from individual items in the assembly model, you must select the items you want in the view in the model list, and then create the view.