Reimplementing constraint solver

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Reimplementing constraint solver

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Now I get a new crash, in the destructor of TaskDialog, when I close the sketch:
I pushed a fix for this.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Now to the gil. This is rather painful, as any use of Py::Object (creation, reassignment, destruction) must happen with GIL engaged, because I assume that changing reference count is a Py API call, and
Non-Python created threads
When threads are created using the dedicated Python APIs (such as the threading module), a thread state is automatically associated to them and the code showed above is therefore correct. However, when threads are created from C (for example by a third-party library with its own thread management), they don’t hold the GIL, nor is there a thread state structure for them.

If you need to call Python code from these threads (often this will be part of a callback API provided by the aforementioned third-party library), you must first register these threads with the interpreter by creating a thread state data structure, then acquiring the GIL, and finally storing their thread state pointer, before you can start using the Python/C API. When you are done, you should reset the thread state pointer, release the GIL, and finally free the thread state data structure.
I think rather than locking the gil in just about every routine of ConstraintSolver, I'd instead place an assert in PyHandle, that will force us to engage gil in event handlers.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm
abdullah wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:30 pm If it is relevant, I may try to make an interface to change it from Python.
That would be nice, but if it gets difficult, maybe it's worth having a separate branch with new sketcher code...
Nothing fancy, just to keep you going comfortably:

Code: Select all

Sketcher: Default to GCS and SwitchSolver command

===================================================

This is intended as a temporary facility to switch during runtime solver between GCS and FCS.

How?
ActiveSketch.switchSolver()

It informs in the Console of the activated solver.

I have pushed it to the branch.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:45 pm I think rather than locking the gil in just about every routine of ConstraintSolver, I'd instead place an assert in PyHandle, that will force us to engage gil in event handlers.
I was thinking exactly this, but I am not aware of all the implications...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote:...
Any recommended way to clear (empty) the parameterStore?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Create a new one. Clearing is not supported, as there may be ParameterRefs that still refer to it.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm
abdullah wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Create a new one. Clearing is not supported, as there may be ParameterRefs that still refer to it.
Ok. This is what I did locally. :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

New question related to ParaPoint and ParaShape<ParaPoint>.

I see that a parashape is something like applying a transformation (placement) to a parageometry (correct me if I am wrong).

I am implementing the interface with the coincident constraint, and I have a pair of hparapoints which I would like to feed to the constraint constructor, which takes h(parashape<parapoint>) aka HShape_Points, like this:

FCS::G2D::HParaPoint &p1 = Points[pointId1];
        FCS::G2D::HParaPoint &p2 = Points[pointId2];

c.fcsConstr = new FCS::G2D::ConstraintPointCoincident(p1,p2);
This does not work, because of the different types, any advice of how to "cast" or "convert" those hparapoints into HShape_Points?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

It is done like that:

FCS::G2D::HShape_Point sh = new FCS::G2D::ParaShape<FCS::G2D::ParaPoint>(new FCS::G2D::ParaTransform(), hp);
This is somewhat inconvenient, you are welcome to improve on it. One way to improve is to add a toShape() method to all geometries.

EDIT: it may also be a good idea to create a unity transform as a singleton, so as to not have to create it insane number of times.