Reimplementing constraint solver

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Reimplementing constraint solver

Post by abdullah »

I (kindda) implemented AngleViaPoint (It is still missing the replicated functionality to lock the tangencies).
Screenshot_20200513_165217.png
Screenshot_20200513_165217.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Some arcs of ellipse sometimes fail:
Screenshot_20200513_165347.png
Screenshot_20200513_165347.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
toralf

Post by toralf »

Hi,

I followed your discussions with high interest. But the last two weeks no new posts showed up. Have you abandoned this project or is the discussion taking place at some other location?
Just curious.

Toralf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Toralf.

Such projects take a lot of effort and time and occasionally people need to take some time off, otherwise they would burnout.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Yes, I have abandoned the project for more than a month already :oops: as well as freecad altogether. Two reasons: decline of interest, and other projects. I hope to return eventually.
toralf

Post by toralf »

Thank you for the honest feedback. Sorry to hear that you lost interest. Wish you good luck with your projects and hope to see you regain interest in FreeCAD some day soon.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

toralf wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 pm I followed your discussions with high interest. But the last two weeks no new posts showed up. Have you abandoned this project or is the discussion taking place at some other location?
Just curious.
I am currently resting from this while fixing FC bugs and letting DeepSOIC rest (as he has done a lot :mrgreen: ).

I intend to come back in the near future. Then I may be able to lure DeepSOIC back in again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

You guys rest. You've done so much!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 am Length constraint is working.
This constrains the perimeter of the slot to equal 100 mm. This constraint is useful for designing belt-and-pulley systems. Sketcher doesn't have such a constraint yet!
abdullah wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:11 pm I am currently resting from this while fixing FC bugs and letting DeepSOIC rest
This length constraint would be really nice to have in the sketcher solver. The typical use-case would be belt and chain drives.

I might be very naive about that, but would it be possible to extract this length constraint from this new solver and implement it in the sketcher solver ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Zolko wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am but would it be possible to extract this length constraint from this new solver and implement it in the sketcher solver ?
it should be possible to implement it into the current solver. There is no need to "extract" it from FCS, there isn't anything re-usable, the architectures are too different.

In current sketcher, there is a hard-coded limitation on the number of elements a constraint can refer to (it is either 3 or 4, I don't quite remember). This is too few for a perimeter constraint, so a small revolution is needed.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Trying to rebase, having some difficulties resolving conflicts. See gitter chat.
abdullah wrote:🔔