Big merge day

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Big merge day

Post by ickby »

hehe, let's say I have much confidence in the FreeCAD community finding cases I missed during testing. Which, in regard to the complexity, wasn't thorough enough, I have to admit :)
gestalt73

Post by gestalt73 »

Ah, now I understand. Ok.

I have a 50 part "assembly" done in 0.13, but it's my first experience in FreeCAD and so I did everything in the Part Workbench (didn't understand the virtues of PartDesign).

I'm recreating a few of the simpler parts in dev-assembly PartDesign after following the new tutorial, and I get (and like) the relative assembly->product->part coordinate system.

So far the sketch solver seems to work well, I'll get a couple of parts in and see how the Assembly solver works.

Thanks for the tips, it makes so much more sense to me now.

Alan
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

If I'm correct assembly constraints work only for imported STEP/BREP atm. The constraints are doing nothing for PartDesign parts and bodies (or my workflow is wrong:)

ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

It works also for part design. In assembly workbench, you have a tool which adds a New part into the active assembly. This new part holds a body. You can use This body for normal part design work and Assemble it later.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good. I am tempted but will wait until it lands on daily PPA to try my first assembly (in the easy way).
It works also for part design. In assembly workbench, you have a tool which adds a New part into the active assembly. This new part holds a body. You can use This body for normal part design work and Assemble it later.
Is parametric relation preserved? Can you edit added part from PartDesign after it was added to Assembly and will the changes be updated in Assembly without adding it again?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

yes of course.
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

ickby wrote:It works also for part design. In assembly workbench, you have a tool which adds a New part into the active assembly. This new part holds a body. You can use This body for normal part design work and Assemble it later.
I know about that but the problem is different. Assembly tools (align, coincident) cannot translate those bodies or translation is incorrect. I will provide steps to reproduce the issue later today.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Good idea, I'm sure there are a few bugs which needed to be hunt down! Just a few remarks on the current implementation:

1. Most likly you know that already, but for completeness: you can't assemble bodys directly, they need to be inside a part. Only bodys in parts can be used with constraints.
2. If you model something inside a body, you should place the initial sketch on the xy plane. If you choose any other, the transformations get messed up between partdesign and assembly. If you want to transform your design apart from the assembly module, then transform the body. This is a known issue.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ickby wrote:yes of course.
Great!
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

ickby wrote:2. If you model something inside a body, you should place the initial sketch on the xy plane.
It seems i have to:
1. Start on the xy
2. Add other features on different planes
3. And then use assembly constraints.
4. Cannot edit (or add) features added in (2), because a sketch view is wrong

Another thing - when I switch first time from Assembly (1 component with 2 parts) to Part Design, FreeCAD show me a message:
No body was found in this document, and none could be created. Please report this bug.We recommend you do not use this document with the PartDesign workbench until the bug has been fixed.