Big merge day

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Re: Big merge day

Post by jriegel »

I got not much time so far to test the new PartDesign and Assembly together, but I also think we should soon merge into master to get enough mileage out of testing before the usual Christmas release...
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, do the merge! everybody using 0.14 is normally aware that it can break...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I will for sure test it but i have one question. I do a lot of work lately on FreeCAD and have a lot of files and i was wondering what breakage should i expect:

a.) FreeCAD crashing and being unusable now and then and possibility of uncompleted features.
b.) Modified fcstd files in a way that will become useless after transition is done.
c.) All of the above...

Basically what i am asking is will integrity of fcstd files be affected and if it would be better to use FreeCAD 0.13 for regular work and 0.14 dev just for testing for some time after this changes land in master (PPA). Or integrity of files should not be affected and issues will affect just FreeCAD but the files should stay OK.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

a.) yes, thats for sure.
b.) the object structure will change (body feature, parts and products) so 0.14 files are not backward compatible. And there is a slight chance that this structure will change again before the release, so it might happen that files become incompatible.
c.) yes :)

Definitely stay with 0.13 stable for your work! And for some fun go for 0.14 testing!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Usually i don't have issues with dev releases and potential breakage but this time i will take more conservative approach and i downgraded from daily to stable PPA on my work machine. Dev release already has a few nice features like improved pbuffers handling... but i guess a month or two after the merge in master i will be more comfortable to use dev release on my work machine again!

Now i feel more comfortable to wait for the big merge day and now the "waiting issue" is the only "potential issue" concerning this merge indeed! :D
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Merge, baby, merge! :mrgreen:
pinniped

Post by pinniped »

Yes, please merge. I have been waiting for the Assembly module before I resume evaluating FreeCAD for some real work.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Now you are stuck, Jürgen :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

pinniped wrote:Yes, please merge. I have been waiting for the Assembly module before I resume evaluating FreeCAD for some real work.
Don't expect too much at first. It's not going to be complete, ickby said so already.

But, with the Body container, I believe it will be possible to manage multiple parts created in Part Design within the same document. At the moment merging projects cause trouble and I have resorted to exporting to STEP my individual files and import the "dumb solids" into a new document to create the assembly.
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

Yes, please merge them both. Part design and assembly.

I can't wait to make first win unstable with it (or at least try to build it. :-) )

Regards,
Petar