Collection of my obstacles learning FreeCAD

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Re: constrained rectangle macro ?

Post by jpg87 »

free-swallow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 am Hmm, hit an obstacle using/editing offset in Point/Plane measurement.
You used a measurement tool, but not a constraint :

mousetrap3.png
mousetrap3.png (359.37 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

If you do not have enough perspective, you should consult the more theoretical pages of my website
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/020_ass_outils_contr.php

and the simple examples of the first pages.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
free-swallow

Post by free-swallow »

jpg87
Thank you for posting. Since my last post and before you posted your answer, I have been looking at your website. I am going back looking closer at the link you have posted above.

This morning I was going to finish the project and post the result. Then I decided to take one more look at why I did not seem to be able to place the catch tube using and offset. I had succeeded using an offset to the horizontal plane for the tube.

I thought I would be clever and make a copy of the project by saving as to a new name, XP-junk. Having done that I proceeded in the XP-junk file to place one of the Gates to my surprise I failed, after one move in tub axis direction, the Gate seemed fully constrained. Having run out of time I decided to close the XP-junk file but discard any saves.

Well I don't think I will do that again, now both the original file and the XP-junk file will not work. Will get back to it later tonight. Obviously that was not the correct way to make a working copy, the intention was to discard the working copy when it was to badly mangled.

I figure I should have copied the directory where I have the original mouse-trap items.
To be continued....
:oops: :oops:
free-swallow

Post by free-swallow »

The good news, above post about stuffing up my files doing the wrong copying was not as costly as I expected.FC saved my bacon I think. Carefully sorting out the saved files it seemed I was back running again. I am still not used to the importance of adding constraints.

The reason I could not move items at certain stages I believe because at that point the item was fully constrained. Having turned the computer off/on also may have sorted out something, not sure at all.

I have finished the mousetrap model except for adding electronics and the lock pins in the gates. Not sure if I will get around to that. The idea just using a tiny microprocessor, battery, optical sensor unit tx/rx like in TV remote controls. Final perhaps a small solenoid pulling the pins out when mouse at the bait in the middle.
Screenshot_20200312_223027-200310-Asm3-Project-mt-2-no-release-pins.png
Screenshot_20200312_223027-200310-Asm3-Project-mt-2-no-release-pins.png (211.55 KiB) Viewed 988 times
I ne the next post I have added my files for inspection if anyone interested. Ran into limit of attachments

Suggestions for improvements to procedure welcome. I feel I am swimming in real deep water and for that matter has a very long way to go before I am comfortable.
I will be happy to hear if my modeling effort is reasonable effort
free-swallow

Post by free-swallow »

Here are the files.

I will study a bit more on the tools on the http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/020_ass_outils_contr.php etc
Attachments
200305-Asm3-catch-tube.FCStd
(17.43 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
200307-Asm3-DropGate.FCStd
(51.34 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
200310-Asm3-mt-baseboard.FCStd
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
200310-Asm3-mt-riser.FCStd
(21.21 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
200310-Asm3-Project-mt.FCStd
(70.89 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
free-swallow

handling a step file of shipping container

Post by free-swallow »

cont20ft HC_1.131-resized.jpg
cont20ft HC_1.131-resized.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 962 times
-
-
Two 20 ft shipping containers in place space between to be enclosed or at least covered. Ok may be ambitious of me attempting this already.

Found a container on the internet but no FCStd files so I settled for a step file and converted this. The problem is when creating copies my pc struggles. The step files appears to be very detailed, many sub files but I can't use the converted file.

Attaching the converted file,which I have later wrapped in an assembly container to create multiple copies.

To save time I would like to know if there something to be done, or I should have done to make it 'lighter; on the pc, as there is over 10 seconds between some operations.

Thinking I am over ambitious using this step file I will begin to make up a simplified container just sides and ends, perhaps the corner posts. :)
Attachments
200313-Ship-cont.FCStd
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
free-swallow

Re: Collection of my obstacles learning FreeCAD

Post by free-swallow »

I have tried to make a model of a 20ft long general shipping container. This seemed such a simple thing to do and yet I was a bit apprehensive. Turned out to be with good reason, it cost me hours before I got a good grip on the use of Assembly containers and the Element property.

Eventually I think I succeeded and I learnt a good lesson about multiple copies of items and the attempt to name items. I learnt that multiple items all responds to the same Element, it took me some time to appreciate that this probably is quite logical. Also took advantage of jpg87 webpage for details, watching repeatedly section of interest.

One thing I did not manage, trying to apply a Shapestring so that I can add a bit of lettering. :)

I will record my result by giving a picture and files I used.
-
Screenshot_20200314_162207-ship-container-01.png
Screenshot_20200314_162207-ship-container-01.png (191.71 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Here is the files
-
Attachments
200313-Asm3-Main-Ship-cont.FCStd
(43.82 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
200313-Sub-Asm3-Ship-cont-end.FCStd
(19.68 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
200313-Sub-Asm3-Ship-cont-sides-extra.FCStd
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
200313-Sub-Asm3-Ship-cont-top-bottom.FCStd
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
jpg87

Re: Collection of my obstacles learning FreeCAD

Post by jpg87 »

free-swallow wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 am ...
I looked at the files of the mouse trap: it's OK.

Some remarks from my point of view:
As the first examples on my site show, it is not always necessary to wrap each part in an Asm3 container. This becomes so if we want to predefine the constraint elements.
You could have only had one Asm3 container here.

For your shipping container, it's the same.
To be more rigorous, all the elements of the shipping container except the doors can be in the same Asm3 container (class "box").
Then each opening will be in its own Asm3 container (right door, left door).
A general container will then contain the three sub-assemblies.

To be even more rigorous and especially if you want to predefine the geometric elements to be constrained, then you can put each part in its own container.

Regarding Shapestring I will try to make a short video in a few days.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06