Assembly 4 and CAM/Path

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chowderhead

Assembly 4 and CAM/Path

Post by Chowderhead »

I'm getting my head around Assembly 4, certainly a step forward. Now I have a project that I'm ready to mill, but find only a 2D object, "Model" when I create a new path job. How do I produce a tool path without resorting to producing a separate file with the 3D model in it?
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 and CAM/Path

Post by Zolko »

Chowderhead wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm Now I have a project that I'm ready to mill, but find only a 2D object, "Model" when I create a new path job. How do I produce a tool path without resorting to producing a separate file with the 3D model in it?
That's actually a good question, and I don't know the answer. An Assembly4 "Model" is a standard FreeCAD part (App::Part or Std_Part) and I don't know whether the Path WB can handle them. Until now, I always copied the 3D solid to a new file and did the Path-things there.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
soerja_015

Post by soerja_015 »

Hi, i stumbled on the same issue here. From my browsing however, it seems that assembly 4 will not work because it only has links to parts not the parts themselves.
Zolko, when you said that you create new file, do you mean that you put all your parts into a "stock" model? Because when i did this, doing the path will still involve many manual work (or maybe it's more that i don't fully understand how to use the Path tool).
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

soerja_015 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 am when you said that you create new file, do you mean that you put all your parts into a "stock" model ?
what I do is to "export" the link as a solid (in Part WB > "Convert to solid") and use that solid to do the Path things. This looses parametric links, but is much more stable. And I copy that solid into a new file, making it safer if I completely screw up the Path project part. And anyway, if you begin to manufacture something, you need to have the as-built model somewhere, so there is no loss in freezing the part for producing the G-code (which will be frozen anyway !)

So what I do: Assembly > Convert link to solid > copy that solid into new file > launch Path WB.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here