Need help installing Assembly branch.

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yoshimitsuspeed

Need help installing Assembly branch.

Post by yoshimitsuspeed »

I tried following these instructions from another thread but couldn't get it to work.
ickby wrote:Hello,

about the assembly branch: clone the freecad source from sourceforge and then checkout the assembly branch. Something like (not tested:)

Code: Select all

git remote add origin http:\\frecad_repo_adress
git clone origin
git checkout origin jriegel/dev-assembly 
I am confused if origin is supposed to be typed in there or if origin is something else I need to add and I don't get what it refers to.
ickby
Veteran

Re: Need help installing Assembly branch.

Post by ickby »

you need to add the sourceforge git repository as remote location to your git install. thats the first command, it creates the remote location named origin. When done, you can clone the repository without specifying the hole adress, refering to the remote location is enough. Git will then download the repository to your computer ( thats the second command). After that you need to checkout the dev-assembly branch, as initially the master branch is checked out. thats the third command. I added the correct adress, still untested but should work like this

git remote add origin git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code free-cad-code
git clone origin
git checkout origin jriegel/dev-assembly 
yoshimitsuspeed

yoshi@Tetsu:~$ git remote add origin git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code free-cad-code
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

My full procedure:

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code free-cad-code
cd free-cad-code/
git checkout jriegel/dev-assembly
mkdir Build && cd Build
cmake - DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../
make -j8
./bin/FreeCAD
yoshimitsuspeed

Awesome, like butter. Thanks.

Are there any tutorials or anything?
If not can I get a quick primer on basic function?
I played with a few different things and couldn't get anything to move.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

just make an assembly active (double click) and than use the assembly workbench tools to add a new part to it. This part holds a body which should be your basis for modeling. double click it and part design workbench gets active. You can assemble multiple parts, so you have to model a few first. Here a copy from another thread:

Hello,

parts can only hold bodys. That means that old freecad projects which don't have the body feature can not be put into a part. Jan wrote a conversion tool for that purpose, but that has not been merged yet. If you have a body outside a part and want to add it to a part, you currently need to use the python console. Look at the output of the gui "add part" command to see how it's done.

Jan wrote also a nice tutorial on how to use the new part design features, have a look at http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... Tutorial_I . If you double click the body inside the part you can model anything you want, it will be grouped beneath the body feature (thats the purpose of it).

To assemble stuff you need multiple parts. than you can select any geometrie on two different parts (maybe two faces) and hit the constraint button (e.g. coincident). I started writing a tutorial, but it's not exceeded the theoretical basics, so not too useful up to now.
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... c_Tutorial Just remember it's draft, pictures are inconsitent etc.

Because of the mentioned shortcommings the workbench is not realy easy usable up to now, but if you still go on testing I would like to hear you opinion about the constraints and solver part. Dos it work as expected? Dos anything solve as it should?

Stefan
psi13art

Post by psi13art »

kwahooo wrote:My full procedure:

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code free-cad-code
cd free-cad-code/
git checkout jriegel/dev-assembly
mkdir Build && cd Build
cmake - DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../
make -j8
./bin/FreeCAD
What is wrong?

/home/valber/source/free-cad-code/src/Mod/Assembly/App/ opendcm/core/equations.hpp: 33:41: fatal error: boost/fusion/include/copy.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation aborted.
make [2]: *** [src / Mod / Assembly / App / CMakeFiles / Assembly.dir / ItemPart.cpp.o] Error 1
make [1]: *** [src / Mod / Assembly / App / CMakeFiles / Assembly.dir / all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

libboost*dev library missing? Dubstar posted a nice script installing all needed packages viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4611
psi13art

Post by psi13art »

kwahooo wrote:libboost*dev library missing? Dubstar posted a nice script installing all needed packages viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4611
Ubuntu 12.04
I install libboost1.48-all-dev , and now, ok!