Questions on using experimental Assembly module

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nonlimited

Re: Big merge day

Post by nonlimited »

Hi
ickby wrote: The coin error fix is not in the code yet, I need to add it to my branch first and then it will take time until jriegel merges it to dev-assembly. So no fast fixes here.
Is your branch the one found on github? https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_constraint.git
I have read something about your personal branch somewhere, but do not find the post again.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

thats the correct repository, and the branch I'm working on is "assembly". But currently there are no changes in this branch which are not in dev-assembly.
project4

Post by project4 »

Have you seen kawahoo's video?
Yes, I saw it several times and still think I'm missing something...

First operation he do there is align the pin and piston, selecting equal makes sense to me.
After that he selects outer surrounding of the pin, where I assume the normal is pointing outside as you wrote, then he selects inner circle of the piston hole, where I assume the normal is pointing to the center of the hole, and then he selects coincident with equal orientation...

Shouldn't he had to select opposite orientation in that case?
Or my assumptions are wrong in case of cylinders?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Again, please start a new thread for your questions.

I understand your confusion, maybe we should split the functionality into a seperate concentric constraint. Your thought would be right if you see only the face. However, a cylindrical face is basicly a cylinder, and a cylinders direction is the normal of it's base circle plane. Therefore making cylinders parallel would create two parallel tubes, equal or opposite then defines if the cylinder1 top points towards cylinder2 bottom or the top.

A cylindrical face has not one normal, but a different normal on every point. Same for any kind of curved surfaces. I always consider the basic shape (palaner face -> plane, cylindrical face -> cylinder, straight edge -> line etc.) and from them it's clear what the normal is.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Questions on using Assembly module

Post by NormandC »

I just split the "Big merge day" topic and created this new topic on questions about use of the assembly module.
ickby
Veteran

Re: Questions on using experimental Assembly module

Post by ickby »

Thanks normandc!

I fixed the crash reported in the initial post, you will get an warning in the report view instead. (in my personal branch "assembly" in https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_constraint.git)
fsk

Post by fsk »

Hello everybody,

the assembler its really a great tool and I am very impressed of FreeCAD in whole.
But I am not able to assemble parts of my own and my assembly workbench looks different from that in the video (see attachement). With the blue marked symbol I am not able to do anything.
Does anybody know, what I am doing wrong?

Greatings from germany,
Sebastian
Attachments
FreeCAD.JPG
FreeCAD.JPG (76.18 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Sebastian,

Please post your FreeCAD info as explained in the READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP!!! topic. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

to get anything much in the Assembly wb, you have to compile a special version of FreeCAD, from a special branch of the source code. See the main git repo on sourceforge, you want the branch /jriegel/Assembly.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

It seem syou are on dev-assembly as you have a Body feature and working planes. Assembly is turned off in a defualt build, so maybe you need to set the cmake variable to build it.