A2+ - Part reference geometry

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dammerel

A2+ - Part reference geometry

Post by dammerel »

Hi all

In A2+ is there a way to show (in the assembly view) the parts reference geometry eg plane, axis and points
The example, I have a part with a datum plane, and I would like to use that plane within the assembly to constrain with other parts

Thanks, Andrew
dan-miel

Re: A2+ - Part reference geometry

Post by dan-miel »

dammerel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 am In A2+ is there a way to show (in the assembly view) the parts reference geometry eg plane, axis and points
I'm not sure how to do this in A2plus but here are some home made programs you can try. The viewer is the one you want for viewing mates. Unzip the zip file and add the A2plusmore folder to your mod folder and restart A2plus. Open the 'A2plusmore' workbench.
The viewer icon is a yellow lantern and opens the form below. You can import the constraints from a part or from the tree. To import from a part highlight the part in GUI. Click on the "import from part" button. To import from tree select one or more constraints in the tree and click "Import from Tree".
Each row has information about a different constraint. To see where a constraint is attached highlight the Constraint Name in column 4.
To see each leg separately click the cells in columns 5 and 6.
I normally click the "Restore transparency" so I can see where where the features are. Hit the 'toggle transparency' twice to return the solid model.
Column
1 shows direction of constraint. Clicking the cell toggles the direction from aligned to opposite and back.
2 is the constraint suppressed. Clicking in cell toggles between True and False.
3 Runs the constraint.
4 Constraint name. Highlights both legs of the constraint.
5 and 6 Highlights one leg of the constraint.
Cells 8 and 10 the part name for cells 5 and 6.
Cells 7 and 9 is the part fixed?

If you click in cell 5 or 6 and cannot find the feature: Click the "Find w Label" button, a label will appear showing you where the feature is. Click the button again to remove the label
If a leg is attached to a feature and you want to move the leg to a different feature: click in the cell of the feature you want to move. Click the button "Attach to" then select the new feature. The cells update to the new feature.

Money back guaranty. If this does not work or if it is not what your looking for I'll return your money :lol:
Dan
Attachments
A2plusmore.zip
(223.28 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
veiwer 2020-08-06.JPG
veiwer 2020-08-06.JPG (43.28 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
dammerel

Post by dammerel »

Dan

Thanks, that's is a great tool to use. I have attached a couple of screenshots from Alibre Design

capture 1 when you select show reference geometry
capture 2 the part will show its plane, axis, points (freecad language datums)
You can now use to constrain too like any other geometry of the part
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (21.26 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (47.9 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

Andrew
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

dammerel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 am In A2+ is there a way to show (in the assembly view) the parts reference geometry eg plane, axis and points
I think I understand now, you're looking for the "reference" geometry. Sorry to disappoint you but as far as I know there is no reference geometry in A2plus. When Kbwbe changes a part file into a A2plus file any reference geometry is stripped from the part so there are no axis or planes to reference to in the file. I have made some reference planes using the Draft workbench and surfaces workbench https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45647 and inserted them into the assembly but they are a poor substitute for a real reference plane.
Dan Miel
Slidingvane

Post by Slidingvane »

Hi Dammerel,

I don't know if my answer will really be what you are requiring but I had a similar problem with an assembly on A2+ and I was looking for the part reference geometry/coordinates axis and I have set the "Display Object Bounding option" on "true" and then set the option "Bound box" in the "object selection style", both are in View menu when you click on the part to be constrained.

I was then able to position the tube like I wanted to on a flat surface as previously A2+ didn't want to consider the cylindrical surface.

Hope I helped ;)