Asm4: BOM functionality prototyping

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alex_55

Re: Asm4: BOM functionality prototyping

Post by alex_55 »

hermanvh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:56 pm Alex,

Just found out that infoPart did not work because I used an existing A4 model, where the RequiredPartMetaData doen not exist.
It would be nice when the software can handle that case.

Herman
Adapting the command to work with existing ASM4 models is an easy fix that I will implement before opening a pull request. Thank you for testing!
hermanvh

Post by hermanvh »

Alex,

Thanks.
Can you include the dimensions also, as I did in the cutlist ?

Herman
Yshim

Post by Yshim »

alex_55 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:17 am At this point, I am looking for general feedback and ideas as to what community members would like to see in Asm4 BOM functionality. If you have suggestions or examples of nicely formatted BOM sheets I can take style inspiration from, send a reply.
alex_55

I saw your post and decided to send you a message
This is my first post in FreeCAD FORUM.

I'm interested in developing CAD data management tools.
I think ASM4 BOM functionality is a very nice feature. I would like to import this metadata and save it on the CAD data management tool as E-BOM.

So the question is
(1) Please let me know if there is an API to export metadata.
(2) I think it would be great to have a function to output in STEP-AP242 XML format. Do you have any plans for that?

For AP242, Please refer to page 60-76 of the pdf below.
https://www.cax-if.de/documents/rec_pra ... t_v2.0.pdf

thanks.

Yshim
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Hello! Super cool addition to Asm4!
If it will work - FreeCad could become very useful tool for a real production. One of the biggest request from customers - "how much materials does the product contains?" For example, furniture & interior production implies one-type objects, with the same structure - Asm4 - is an ideal instrument for joining hundreds of such objects in one assembly! A2Plus can not include so much parts as in usual production is needed (I've tested it with some metal frame and got the legendary "topology naming issues"). So the BOM of ASM4 - is a very needed feature!!
Here's an example of the steel frame, I've don in A2Plus + TechDraw. (overall view with the part's names I've made from a screenshot of A2Plus assembly with labeling feature enabled and pasted it in to the TechDraw's list as an a picture):
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/ixCm5105YtOGnA

May be it could be possible to add a position labeling in Asm4 as it exists in A2Plus as a part's name labeling tool..(just an idea).? @Zolko?

Great thanks, Mr. @alex_55!!!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm May be it could be possible to add a position labeling in Asm4 as it exists in A2Plus as a part's name labeling tool..(just an idea).? @Zolko?
can you please elaborate ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Zolko wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 pm
totalcad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm May be it could be possible to add a position labeling in Asm4 as it exists in A2Plus as a part's name labeling tool..(just an idea).? @Zolko?
can you please elaborate ?
I mean this tool (the column "POS" is created in the PARTLIST table in A2Plus - could be nice to have the "POS" column in Asm4's BOM and use this numbers in the Asm4's assembly instead off cluttering parts names):
Attachments
1.png
1.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
2.png
2.png (49.23 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
positions.png
positions.png (205.58 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

alex_55 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:17 am In another thread a few months ago, Zolko suggested that BOM creation functionality would be a good place to do some hacking on the Asm4 workbench.
Hello Alex, any news on this BoM front ? Something that we could test ? Do you need help ?
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Hello, @Zolko!
How much the BOM feature is implemented in Assembly4 today?
I've downloaded version 0.9.17, 2021-06-21 and got this icon at the BOM button:
Screenshot from 2021-07-19 23-37-04.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-19 23-37-04.png (412 Bytes) Viewed 1997 times
This works somehow, but I can't find how to "Edit Part Information" and also the BOM does not add the same parts to one row with the right quantity.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 pm How much the BOM feature is implemented in Assembly4 today?
I've downloaded version 0.9.17, 2021-06-21 and got this icon at the BOM button:
There has been no progress on the BOM functionality lately. But the buttons shows for me ... can you try to uninstall and re-install the workbench ?
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Thanks, @Zolko!
I've reinstalled FC 0.19 completely & installed fresh A4 - every icons have come alive! Thank you! It's a pity that this thing is still not developing///