Rotational pattern in Assembly 4?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
monoceros84

Rotational pattern in Assembly 4?

Post by monoceros84 »

Hello there,

I am using FreeCad 0.19 Revision 23964.
Actually, I am just starting learning Assembly 4. I made a master sketch (the white triangle) and added 4 parts: the two crossing bars, the small center part sitting on the cross and the diagonal bar. Now exactly the same diagonal bar should go into the pockets of the other cross bars. So I need 4 diagonal parts, all linked to the same body, just 90° rotated around the master sketch's vertical line.

How would I achieve this? Is there any rotational feature in Assembly 4?
And if not: do I really need to manually add coordinate systems at all 4 positions (where the pockets are)? The one on the opposite site of the already created one could be linked to the same master sketch. But the other two would be outside the master sketch's plane. So would I need to create another master sketch? Or what would be the correct workflow for something like this?
PS: I can not create the master sketch in the horizontal plane (and as such having all four pocket locations in it) because I'll also need the vertical direction for later parts...

Thank you very much for any ideas!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Rotational pattern in Assembly 4?

Post by Kunda1 »

Mod edit: moved to Assembly subforum.

Welcome to the forum, OP. Please post your full About info to your OP. Thanks.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

monoceros84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm How would I achieve this? Is there any rotational feature in Assembly 4?
It's foreseen, there already is an icon for that, but it's not yet implemented:

you can try to use Draft_PolarArray in the Draft workbench, may-be it can do what you want

PS: I can not create the master sketch in the horizontal plane (and as such having all four pocket locations in it) because I'll also need the vertical direction for later parts...
You can make more than 1 MasterSketch. May-be adding horizontal MasterSketch would be a good solution to your problem too.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
monoceros84

Post by monoceros84 »

Zolko wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 am
You can make more than 1 MasterSketch. May-be adding horizontal MasterSketch would be a good solution to your problem too.
Thank you for the reply! Good to know it is not considered bad practice. I have added a horizontal sketch and am fine with this. Of course this will be pain in case of more than 4 copies (drawing all vertices in a master sketch, because Sketcher seems to be missing rotational patterns too, adding coordinate systems to all vertices, linking the part to all origins). So good news you are already planning this feature.
I was not happy using the rotational pattern of the Draft workbench - it seemed complicated.

BTW: I did not recognize you answering because I could not watch this topic. The button described in the FAQ of the forum is not visible for me :(
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

monoceros84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm Is there any rotational feature in Assembly 4 ?
there is now :

makeArray.PNG
makeArray.PNG (255.34 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
monoceros84

Post by monoceros84 »

Zolko wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm
monoceros84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm Is there any rotational feature in Assembly 4 ?
there is now :
Wow, you are amazing! 8-)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

monoceros84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm Is there any rotational feature in Assembly 4?
circular (polar) array is in the development branch (v0.10): you can use any object as source, and a datum axis for reference axis, but also any X-Y-Z axis of an LCS. It's also App::Part aware, including nested parts, but the source object and reference axis must be in the same container

makeArray.png
makeArray.png (463.93 KiB) Viewed 1729 times