Mapping Sketch to Base Plane in Assembly4

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vagulus

Mapping Sketch to Base Plane in Assembly4

Post by Vagulus »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.1)
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/New Zealand (en_NZ)

I wish to create a Sketch on the YZ-plane in Assembly 4 to check the functional geometry of my project from the RHS of the model.

In the INSTRUCTIONS https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... Sketch.svg I read
Image creates FreeCAD Sketch in an App::Part (and thus also in Assembly4 Models). After creation the attachment dialog opens and allows to attach this Sketch.
Clicking on that Icon in Assembly4 gets me
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMxdUYEh9fKkFUtYFR ... 2?e=wY2pvk
which is Deactivated. The Sketch Defaults to the XY-plane.

In Tutorial2 https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Ex ... .md#sketch I read
Sketch
We will now create the proper master sketch of our assembly:
In the model tree, select the Model
Create a new sketch: Assembly > New sketch
Call it Sketch_master
This will launch the attachment dialog of the sketch
Same thing happens. Dialog is Deactivated; The Sketch defaults to the XY-plane.

How do I Activate the Attachment Dialog so I can have my sketch on the YZ-plane?
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Mapping Sketch to Base Plane in Assembly4

Post by Zolko »

Vagulus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:43 am How do I Activate the Attachment Dialog so I can have my sketch on the YZ-plane?
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Attachment

It is explicitly said that a general knowledge of FreeCAD is a prerequisite to effectively use Assembly4. There is a Help forum for these questions.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

There I read, "Attachment is a utility to attach an object to another one." I am not attaching objects to objects - at least, not as I understand that concept. In any case, that Attachment Dialog remains Deactivated. I can't attach anything using the Dialog anyway because I do not have anything to attach, I have nothing (except a base plane) to attach something to. I am only trying to set up a Sketch in the YZ-plane.

Since I am only talking about creating a 2D schematic I am getting the idea that I really don't have to worry about 3D orientation. If I select a plane in the Model Tree the New Sketch Icon is disabled. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I just forget about orientation and draw the schematic wherever it happens to lie?

BTW:
Zolko wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 am It is explicitly said that a general knowledge of FreeCAD is a prerequisite to effectively use Assembly4.
I know that but, unfortunately, a comprehensive knowledge of FC was not installed in my brain when I installed FC on my PC. I think it will take time for that to happen.
Joseph Kimble
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

Got it. :D

1. When the dialog comes up on creation of the Sketch, LMC in top text box "Selecting" then switch to Tree View.
2. In Tree View select the required plane under "Origin" then return to Task View.
3. In Task View the plane selected will be entered in the top Text Box - in the Attachment List below select Plane Face and your Sketch is Attached to the selected Plane.

Zolko, if that checks out with you then perhaps you might expand the documentation to include these steps.
Cheers
Joseph Kimble