Editing an assembly3 assembled part

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kishore

Editing an assembly3 assembled part

Post by kishore »

I am familiar with with freecad and just started with the new 0.19 and still getting used to all the new things that have come with it. I am especially curious with assembly and playing around with it. In my experiments I have created a model of the G396 enclosure and using it as an assembly part to fit other components into the box.

To assemble the other components within the box, i have to drill some mounting holes into the case. I would like to know how i can model these holes without doing it in the original file. The enclosure model file is a reusable model file and holes to be drilled are modifications specific to the particular assembly.

What would be the best way to go about this problem.
jpg87

Re: Editing an assembly3 assembled part

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,
Maybe this video can answer your problem :

http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025c5_ass_ ... eption.php
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
kishore

Post by kishore »

Thank you for the link. It has helped in other ways than the question here.

From the example, it is clear how to make modifications to the cart plate (AsCartPlate) from the assembly of the sliders. After the modification, the changes (holes) become part of the original (linked) AsCartPlate file/object.

In my case, i do not want the modification to go to the original file. G396 is a general purpose enclosure box that i intend to use and reuse in multiple projects. In each project I modify the box (drill holes) based on the assembly requirements in that project.

It is my understanding that to achieve this, I have to first create a linked clone of G396 model within the assembly file and then make the modification on the clone.

So I suppose, my real question is can I make a linked clone such that any changes I further make on the clone do not show up in the original but any changes in the original carry forward to the clone within the assembly.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Personally, if the G396 box is always the same at the start, I would proceed as follows: from the G396 file I would save under G396Project1 to insert it in the Project1 assembly, G396Project2 to insert it in the Project2 assembly, .. .
Thus, each version of G396ProjectXXX retains the base and its particularities.
kishore

Post by kishore »

How would one go about that? Do you mean to make a copy of G396? This would be ok except for that I would like any changes made to base G396 to reflect in the other projects. Such changes will be rare for something like the G396 which is simple and a third party product that is expected to remain the same over the long term.

In the specific case of the G396 example, the only changes I expect are more accurate modelling / detailing of the existing design.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

It is not a question of making a copy of the part G396 in the same file, like a clone for example, but of a duplicate of the file G396.FCStd by giving it another name (G396Project1.FCStd for example). It is this duplicate that will be used in the assembly file and personalized at that time. Since it will have a different name than the original file, the original G396.FCStd will be kept and each variant too.
Procedure:
With the G396.FCStd file open, go to "File / Save as ..." then type in the new name G396Project1.FCStd (or G396version1.FCStd or what you want).
heron

Post by heron »

kishore wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 am So I suppose, my real question is can I make a linked clone such that any changes I further make on the clone do not show up in the original but any changes in the original carry forward to the clone within the assembly.
One possible solution would be:
- You can make a master file with the original G396 object which it must be a body.
- Create a new body for each project that you are going to use.
- In the newly created body, you put a basefeature of the original object (drag and drop).
- You use this new body for the assembly project.
In this way, you will be able to modify it without affecting the original, at the same time that if you modify the original, the body in assembly will also be modified.

something like this would be the master file:
-
body_and_childs.png
body_and_childs.png (155.87 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
-
I attach the file, maybe it helps you.
EDIT: If your original object is a step or a Part object, you also create a Body for the Body _Master and enter the original object as basefeature.

I am not an Asm3 expert and I have not done much research, complications may appear that I did not anticipate.
Cheers!
Attachments
test_G396_Master.FCStd
(109.92 KiB) Downloaded 27 times