A2plus - constraining to origin/datums

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

A2plus - constraining to origin/datums

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

is it possible to constrain parts to origin (point, axes and planes) and to datum objects in A2plus ? For example, I would like to:
- make a specific point of the assembly coincident with (0,0,0)
- constrain datum planes belonging to two separate parts so that they are parallel and offset by a given distance

Can it be done in A2plus ? If not then maybe other assembly workbenches could help ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
dan-miel

Re: A2plus - constraining to origin/datums

Post by dan-miel »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:26 pm is it possible to constrain parts to origin (point, axes and planes) and to datum objects in A2plus ?
The only way I found to use planes is to add them to the assembly separately and then attach them to the part or origin. Here are the steps I used.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... ne#p391284

Dan
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Thanks for the reply. So basically datum planes can't be used to constrain parts and user has to actually model the planes as large rectangular surfaces, right ?

I wonder what capabilities other assembly workbenches have in this area. After all, it's an important functionality.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:20 pm So basically datum planes can't be used to constrain parts and user has to actually model the planes as large rectangular surfaces, right ?
Correct. Origins and plan are not imported with the part when the part is added to the assembly.
Dan