Assembly 4 joining faces

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Routerworks

Assembly 4 joining faces

Post by Routerworks »

Assembly 4 appears to be a very powerful assembly tool. One question I have is regarding joining faces. I know that if you have the LCS set at the appropriate levels the contact will be perfect. My question is; If you have linked the two parts and find that the faces are not exactly joined, what is the best way to join them? I know you can use the "transform" button to move one of the bodies however you are limited to the increments you set in the parameters. Is there a way to bring the two surfaces together without going back to the LCS set up.

Thanks in advance
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 joining faces

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Routerworks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 pm If you have linked the two parts and find that the faces are not exactly joined, what is the best way to join them?
If you're using Assembly4 this shouldn't happen. What are the exact steps that your doing ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

If I have two parts that have holes in the and I want to join the surfaces together while lining up the bolt holes. I would place a concentric LCS on each hole of each part and join them usually on the Z axis. Occasionally (or more than occasionally) I place the LCS on the opposing surface which means the surfaces are off by the thickness of the material. Then If I go to move one of the parts by using the "transform" tool I am not sure the surfaces are exactly mating as you could be off by the amount of the increment setting.

Hope this explains it.
Thanks for your help.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Routerworks wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:51 pm Occasionally (or more than occasionally) I place the LCS on the opposing surface which means the surfaces are off by the thickness of the material.
you can use the AttachmentOffset for that
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

Thanks again.
I notice also that when I use "Transform" it often moves the part around in strange angles.

I'll try the Offset instead.

Appreciate the help