Sketch of object using alternate plane?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
emfrebuilding

Sketch of object using alternate plane?

Post by emfrebuilding »

hi everyone,
Bear with me as I'm not even sure what to ask and totally lost. I drew the image in xy plane and padded it as needed and I know that the xz plane cuts the part where I need to see the outline. The drawing in the exercise shows view line AA as the cross section and gives me that view. Can't I somehow select the xz plane and show a sketch of the object in that plane which would represent view AA.

attached is the part. And, I still can't figure out how to put the image I get from the snipping tool into the message box.

thanks again.
Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.1015.24301 +3962 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: c6cb39697eb439caf7e5bd0208ca3082a7820547
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
exercise 1 part.FCStd
(34.45 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch of object using alternate plane?

Post by chrisb »

I don't see what you want. An image - e.g. a handmade doodle - could help. The snipping can create a file which you can drag and drop into the editing field of a post, or you switch below the message to the Attachment tab and use "Add file".

When I load your file, I see a hard to understand model, with lots of useless SubShapeBinders. But that may be due to files from the realthunder branch not loading correctly in master. Please ask questions about this branch in the Assembly forum, where I move this post too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

If you're looking for help in this forum, you're going to get.more support if you're using the master branch. That's because most people around here are using it.
emfrebuilding

Post by emfrebuilding »

thanks to all.

I assume you are talking about using 0.19 as downloaded and not the "modified" freecad I used. I will try to do the same part but had trouble using it in this case.

and, I'll keep working to get the sketches into the post.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:25 am ...When I load your file, I see a hard to understand model, with lots of useless SubShapeBinders....
Not necessarily so :mrgreen:
Rather than having three separate sketches, one for each pad, @emfrebuilding has one master sketch combining all three and he/she sub-binds for each pad using what's necessary.
Nothing wrong with that (not the usual way, but it works)
chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:25 am... But that may be due to ffiles from the realthunder branch not loading correctly in master...
No, it loads the same in Link branch - see above.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

emfrebuilding wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:52 am I still can't figure out how to put the image I get from the snipping tool into the message box.
Use the Attachments tab below the edit box.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.63 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

Gene
emfrebuilding

Post by emfrebuilding »

Morning,

OK, I attached the .png file to show what the exercise is. In the mod freecad I used, I drew the figure on the left which is the top view, highlight the outer diameter and extrude to 5mm, highlight the two circles that defined a wall and extrude to proper height then drilled the hole in the middle. pretty simple. No can do in 0.19 that way (given that I probably don't know what to do) but I did sketch 1/2 of cross section AA and then rotated around the horizontal axis in part design and it worked fine once I got all the measurements in. harder for sure.

Now I would like to cut the 3d figure at line AA and see if the cross sections are the same as the exercise.

and, how would you have constructed the 3d figure??

I appreciate all the help. And thanks for the patience, I still have my old drafting table and drafting machine with several scales in the basement.

jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
exercise 1.png
exercise 1.png (284.74 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

the true powers of using sketches in modelling is to think in terms of cross-sections.
and round things are a perfect match for "revolve".
Snip macro screenshot-223008.png
Snip macro screenshot-223008.png (48.87 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Snip macro screenshot-514f12.png
Snip macro screenshot-514f12.png (26.24 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Snip macro screenshot-4c5177.png
Snip macro screenshot-4c5177.png (49.23 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Attachments
exercise 1 part revolve.FCStd
(41.32 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

heda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:19 am the true powers of using sketches in modelling is to think in terms of cross-sections.
From my experience this thinking outside the box (or as we say in Germany: "thinking around the corner") is the most challenging step when learning modeling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
emfrebuilding

Post by emfrebuilding »

Hi,
thanks to all. I drew the cross section as shown and rotated it and bingo, got the part.

I will keep going on this book and then I will see if I can loft a boat given the stations.

again, appreciate all the help.

Jim