Major update from 0.16 to 0.19: Migrating problems

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Koemi

Major update from 0.16 to 0.19: Migrating problems

Post by Koemi »

Made the big step to V0.19 and A2plus. Previous setting was V0.16 and assemblies produced with assembly2.

What I most feared happened: the migration of assemblies and parts is not going well (slight panic).

Reinstalling V0.16 in combination with assembly2 no longer works. Assembly2 no longer accepts the previously produced constraints and creating new constraints no longer works (greater panic). So V0.19 is, as I see it, the only way to go.

So I tried this (after reading a lot of information):

A2plus migration
1. Migrate in A2plus + save + reload: parts are converted, constraints are unchanged;
2. Repair treeview: constraints are now 'inside' the parts, but still 'grey';
3. Activate Constraint + 'Highlight both constrained parts': the surfaces are displayed (apparently there is a link);
4. Change constraint data (eg 'offset') + click 'Solve constraints': does nothing;
Conclusion: migrating fails, so I have to create all constraints again from scratch?

Migration part
5. From A2plus 'Edit an imported part': part is opened (part was created with V0.16);
6. 'Migrate': part is changed in such a way that positions in the physical drawing change and the migration therefore fails;
Conclusion: make part again?

General conclusion possibilities
a. My work can still be opened, but migration fails completely in my case (panic everywhere);
b. There is no reason to panic. I'm not doing it the right way;

I really do need help with this. What is the best method?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: Dutch/Belgium (nl_BE)
Koemi

Re: Major update from 0.16 to 0.19: Migrating problems

Post by Koemi »

And it is getting worse...

Opening a part from A2plus... Then migrate the part, adapt it (making a hole in or something like that). And saved it (different name). Then back to A2plus.

Then in property >> source file >> adapted path and name to the new filename of the part.

Then 'update parts' >> Nothing happens. I get the follow message in Report view:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'a2p_updateImportedParts' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_importpart.py", line 919, in Activated
    updateImportedParts(doc)
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_importpart.py", line 861, in updateImportedParts
    importPartFromFile(
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_importpart.py", line 341, in importPartFromFile
    relativePath = prefix+os.path.relpath(absPath, assemblyPath)
  File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.19\bin\lib\ntpath.py", line 703, in relpath
    raise ValueError("path is on mount %r, start on mount %r" % (

path is on mount 'C:', start on mount '\\\\someserver\\bedrijfsbestanden'
Then 'update parts' with lightning bolt through it >> Nothing happens. I get the follow message in Report view:

createUpdateFileList importPath = //someserver/bedrijfsbestanden/R&D/Engineering/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_Tekeningen/Beugels/Beugel_verkoopmodellen/Beugel_verkoopmodel_YawPitchRoll/019SAM_Beugel_verkoopmodel_YPR_Boutverbinding3a.FCStd
13:30:10  Running the Python command 'a2p_recursiveUpdateImportedPartsCommand' failed:
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_recursiveUpdatePlanner.py", line 150, in Activated
    subAsmNeedsUpdate, filesToUpdate = createUpdateFileList(
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_recursiveUpdatePlanner.py", line 91, in createUpdateFileList
    mtime = os.path.getmtime(objFileNameInProject)   
  File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.19\bin\lib\genericpath.py", line 55, in getmtime
    return os.stat(filename).st_mtime

[WinError 3] Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden: 'Z:\\R&D\\Engineering\\FreeCAD\\FreeCAD_Tekeningen\\Beugels\\Beugel_verkoopmodellen\\Beugel_verkoopmodel_YawPitchRoll\\SAM_Beugel_verkoopmodel_YPR_Voet_boutverbinding3a.FCStd'
The 2nd Report view-dump... Could it be that special characters are not allowed? (....Z:\\R&D\\Engineering....)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There are indeed some issues fixed. You can try to switch to the English version meanwhile - or use 0.20.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

From the english error message, maybe there are some problem with some path.

Probably the os is not returning correct path or, most probably there are some error in path name, or in some access library to the path, in 0.19.

Take in account that Python has evolved so maybe what is correct for 0.16 maybe is deprecated or not supported in 0.19 due to Python management of Path between versions, FreeCAD 0.16 use a version and FreeCAD 0.19 for sure use a more recent version of the python interpreter..

Or simply could be that some file that was referenced in the FreeCAD file is not accessible for the user due to some user permissions or directory permissions, or even the file is not here anymore.

see:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/404 ... grations-i

Sadly the other error message is in a language that I don't know, I coudl guess that is referencing some file, but this part:

'Z:\\R&D\\Engineering\\
resemble a problem with character set or unicode as it is translating the & with his HTML equivalent &, this could be related to some change in the OS default character encoding, and some Python notes warn about this behaviour, in path.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For such a big jump in versions it is probably best to restart with a plain vanilla config; see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Frequently_ ... rt_anymore .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

onekk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:51 pm ...
Sadly the other error message is in a language that I don't know, I coudl guess that is referencing some file, but this part:

'Z:\\R&D\\Engineering\\
resemble a problem with character set or unicode as it is translating the & with his HTML equivalent &, this could be related to some change in the OS default character encoding, and some Python notes warn about this behaviour, in path.

Regards

Carlo D.

[WinError 3] Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden: 'Z:\\R&D\\Engineering\\FreeCAD\\FreeCAD_Tekeningen\\Beugels\\Beugel_verkoopmodellen\\Beugel_verkoopmodel_YawPitchRoll\\SAM_Beugel_verkoopmodel_YPR_Voet_boutverbinding3a.FCStd'
[WinError 3] Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden:
Translation (from Dutch): "[WinError 3] The system cannot find the specified path:"

The thing is that when I try to open a part from an assembly using the 'Edit an imported part'-button the specific part opens. No problem.

But when the part is saved and I want to update the part in the assembly with the 'Update parts'-button, nothing happens and I get the Report View message. Weird...

Maybe I even have a bigger problem now: all my work is inside this path.... :? Z:\R&D\Engineering\FreeCAD\FreeCAD_Tekeningen\etc...
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:29 pm There are indeed some issues fixed. You can try to switch to the English version meanwhile - or use 0.20.
I actually use the English version, it's easier if you want to find and compare information on the internet (which is 99% in English language).

Erm... From 0.19 to 0.20... Again migrating 'thingies' or....?
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm For such a big jump in versions it is probably best to restart with a plain vanilla config; see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Frequently_ ... rt_anymore .
I tried this already. Also I made a backup of the older config, expecting everything would be 'normal' again if anything went wrong. Assembly2 became completely inoperable whatever I tried, so I am now stuck with V0.19 or higher.

I must say: FreeCAD V0.19 and A2plus software works perfect. Big compliments for all hard work, no doubt. It is definately impressive that this is possible in an opensource environment. But migrating is apparently not a click-and-done process...
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

I wrote this in the fipo:
A2plus migration
1. Migrate in A2plus + save + reload: parts are converted, constraints are unchanged;
2. Repair treeview: constraints are now 'inside' the parts, but still 'grey';
3. Activate Constraint + 'Highlight both constrained parts': the surfaces are displayed (apparently there is a link);
4. Change constraint data (eg 'offset') + click 'Solve constraints': does nothing;
Conclusion: migrating fails, so I have to create all constraints again from scratch?
Check #3: this gives me the feeling of 'being almost there' having the perfect migration of assembly2 to (kbwbe's brilliant) A2plus...
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

Still fighting with migrating A2Plus or Part Design.

99% fails. I have no idea why. It is a time consuming monster.

Every time I try to import using A2Plus I get the "a2p_SketchReference.svg" icon in the combo view combined with the filename, but the actual file does not appear.

- Tried to import (using A2Plus) the file attached. "Slotbout M10x80" is the original V0.16 file. Failed
- Migrated the file. Then tried to import . Failed
- Closed and opened the A2Plus file. Import failed
- Closed and opened FreeCAD. (works sometimes for whatever reason...) Import failed
- Restarted PC. Import failed
- Created the whole file completely new again ("019_Slotbout M10x80"). Import failed.
- Started a brandnew file, started A2Plus. Import worked!!! :o
- Saved the "019_IMPRESSION_Viaduct constructie1.FCStd" under a new name "019_IMPRESSION_Viaduct constructie2.FCStd". Import failed.

This happens so much.... Pffffff

Files inside the attachements

Report view (changed personal thingies in 'jadajada')
14:46:45 Running the Python command 'a2p_ImportPart' failed:
File "C:\Users\jadajada\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_importpart.py", line 732, in Activated
importedObject = importPartFromFile(doc, filename)
File "C:\Users\jadajada\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\A2plus\a2p_importpart.py", line 341, in importPartFromFile
relativePath = prefix+os.path.relpath(absPath, assemblyPath)
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.19\bin\lib\ntpath.py", line 703, in relpath
raise ValueError("path is on mount %r, start on mount %r" % (

path is on mount '\\\\jadajadaserver\\jadajadabestanden', start on mount 'Z:'
Attachments
019_IMPRESSION_Viaduct constructie2.FCStd
(116.8 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
a2p_SketchReference.svg
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
019_Slotbout M10x80.FCStd
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Slotbout M10x80.FCStd
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times