Proposed changes to the PartDesign AdditivePipe page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
luggw1

Proposed changes to the PartDesign AdditivePipe page

Post by luggw1 »

After my first experience with the PartDesign AdditivePipe tool and the help page for it, I felt the page could use a little work to make it more helpful. First, let me describe the process I used to successfully use the tool (and this was with much help from the forum).

1. Select the first sketch to be used for a cross-section.
2. Select the tool.
3. Click the Add Edge button and select the first edge for the sweep path.
4. Repeat Step 4 until all edges are selected.
5. If more than one cross-section is to be used, change Transform Mode from Constant to Multisection.
6. Click the Add Section button and select the next section along the sweep path.
7. Repeat Step 6 until all successive cross-sections are selected.
8. if the result looks acceptable, click OK.

Now, I will admit to not understanding what effects Corner Transition and Orientation mode have on the result, so I can't speak to those, but the procedure I listed above consistently resulted in a successful outcome.

The problems I see in the help page are as follows:
1. I selected the tool without a feature selected, followed by selecting a sketch as instructed in step 2, but in my case it didn't seem to recognize the sketch had been selected and I was immediately stuck in the mud.
2. Steps 3 & 4 talk about clicking the Object button and selecting the sketch that will serve as the path or alternatively clicking the Add Edge button. The issue here is that when I used my approach the word "Pad" appeared in the Object field and I never had to worry about it, so I wonder if this instruction is really necessary/accurate. The alternative Add Edge approach is good, but needs clarification that the button needs to be clicked prior to adding each edge.
3. Step 5 is good if I would have just taken the time to read it properly.
4. The Options heading is empty, which would not be a problem except the Mode property references the Options for an explanation that seems not to be there.
5. The Properties section seems to list some properties that aren't available in the GUI; I assume these are available in the programming interface (this is what happens whey you have a neophyte tinkering in things he doesn't fully understand). It might be helpful if a delineation was made between the GUI controlable properties and the code only properties.
6. Nothing really explains the effects of the Orientation mode or Corner Transition properties, which would be helpful to the new user especially.

Please understand I'm not trying to throw dirt at the authors of these help pages. The work you all have done is a huge and excellent undertaking. In a previous life I participated in S/W maintenance for DoD so I understand the pain surrounding the upkeep of the technical documentation of an application like this. While I am far from an expert, if there is some small way I can help, I am ready and willing.

Bill Lugg
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Proposed changes to the PartDesign AdditivePipe page

Post by chrisb »

It makes things easier if you include a link to the page you are talking about: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PartDesign_AdditivePipe.
The additional properties are available after confirming the Pipe panel. They are located in the DataTab in the left lower corner.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.