Wrong WIKI content for PART > SLICE

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
chrisb

Re: Wrong WIKI content for PART > SLICE

Postby chrisb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Difficult question. Usually the functions are named after the function, not after the result. E.g. Fusion is not called "Fusion if disjoint to compound". Here the new name "Slice to compound" was introduced to distinguish it better from "Slice apart".
The function "Slice to compound" seems to me just a "Slice". Perhaps it could be mentioned as "Slice (to compound)".
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:36 pm

The page name cannot be changed, because the command in FreeCAD is linked to this specific name. You can't change the page title as it is generated from the page name. If you change the page name, it will break the "What's This?" button functionality and the offline help will open a blank page. The other solution is to have it changed in the source code.

I find it impossible to determine the internal name of a command in Python code and its sWhatsThis value (Part Slice tools are in Python) but it looks like the internal name is still Part_Slice. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/sear ... o+compound

In C++ it's all grouped nice and tidy and easy to find, for example for PartDesign ShapeBinder:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... d.cpp#L265

Code: Select all

//===========================================================================
// PartDesign_ShapeBinder
//===========================================================================

DEF_STD_CMD_A(CmdPartDesignShapeBinder);

CmdPartDesignShapeBinder::CmdPartDesignShapeBinder()
  :Command("PartDesign_ShapeBinder")
{
    sAppModule      = "PartDesign";
    sGroup          = QT_TR_NOOP("PartDesign");
    sMenuText       = QT_TR_NOOP("Create a shape binder");
    sToolTipText    = QT_TR_NOOP("Create a new shape binder");
    sWhatsThis      = "PartDesign_ShapeBinder";
    sStatusTip      = sToolTipText;
    sPixmap         = "PartDesign_ShapeBinder";
}
Basically, the name of the command page on the wiki needs to be exactly the name shown for "sWhatsThis".

Have any of you guys ever tried the What's This button? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does, and it's like for everybody else I speak Martian. :?
garya

Postby garya » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:52 pm

NormandC wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:36 pm
Have any of you guys ever tried the What's This button? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does, and it's like for everybody else I speak Martian. :?
In fact, it's the only "What's this" I've ever used that is useful. Usually things like that pop up a one-liner that I read and say, "Well, yeah. Duh. That's not exactly what I needed to know..."
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 am

Thanks, I don't feel so alone anymore. ;)