Keyboard Shortcuts

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kborgen

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by kborgen »

For the keyboard shortcuts are they located on another page outside of this page https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sandbox:Keyboard_Shortcuts?

I love using keyboard shortcuts in other programs and would like to help in updating the shortcuts on the page to the current version. The main issue i see with it is that many of the shortcuts have been changed and this page does not reflect the updates.

Some of the shortcuts also are not inline with the proposed global guidelines and some tool-tips do not display a shortcut if it has been user defined, but i think those would be a topic thread in another part of the forum.
kaktus
Veteran

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by kaktus »

Hi.
Note that this page is still not finished, it's in a sandbox. Try to contact the author of the latest changes, maybe you will agree something together so as not to make the same changes at the same time.
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

The idea behind this page was that tables are roughly automatically generated by a script.
I did it originally with a very poorly coded one. ;)
Now updating is another story where we need something reliable. Hopefully I can put some effort on this in the future.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Some remarks:
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

kborgen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:12 pm For the keyboard shortcuts are they located on another page outside of this page
The default shortcut of a command should be mentioned on its command reference page. F.e. Draft_Line: the shortcut is mentioned in the top right corner (GuiCommand template) and in the Usage paragraph.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 am The default shortcut of a command should be mentioned on its command reference page.
That makes sense. I used the sandbox page as it contained the tables of all commands and the shortcuts on one page versus going through multiple was really nice to have.
Roy_043 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 am Some remarks:
As for the sandbox page, IMO a semi-automatic script that collects the shortcut changes and compares them when a stable update is pushed makes sense, but at the same time I'm not sure how often shortcuts should change. Given that people will memorize and need to re-learn them, but like you said this is probably a small audience (maybe?).