removing the "manual" table from the homepage?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

removing the "manual" table from the homepage?

Post by yorik »

the "manual" section of the hompage, with all the countty flags, seems a bit obsolete to me, no? It's redundant, because each page has its translations at the bottom, and it doesn't really give much to the user, because it is not really a manual...

I think we could remove the languages table, and just point to the table of contents page... What do you guys think?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: removing the "manual" table from the homepage?

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:the "manual" section of the hompage,
Hi Yorik
You got me confused for a bit until I worked out that you are talking about the Wiki main page and not the FreeCAD project home page. :)

you mean this right?
http://freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=Main_Page

As far as your question goes, I would say that you sound correct to me. If they were links to download, for example if they were links to PDF files of the documents then I would say you should leave them all there. However since they are web pages, then you would just have a single link to the table of contents for the language in which you are currently viewing the main page and then have the links below for the multi lingual to switch languages.

Another related point, I like the flags that show next to the languages in that section, but the language links at the bottom of the page do not have the flags, do you think we should put the flags next to the links at the bottom of pages if it is possible?

Jim
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

I agree but with a major exception. Actually all the manuals with the flags let the user understand immediately that there are language options. If we remove them, the user has to scroll to the bottom of the page before realizing that there are languages. I think we already had this discussion in the forum. One option would be moving the language selection to the top of the page, for this page only.

Ciao
Enrico
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:You got me confused for a bit until I worked out that you are talking about the Wiki main page and not the FreeCAD project home page. :)
Doh... Yeah of course :D silly me
ediloren wrote:If we remove them, the user has to scroll to the bottom of the page before realizing that there are languages. I think we already had this discussion in the forum. One option would be moving the language selection to the top of the page, for this page only.
That is true... What would be excellent, actually, would be to have the languages in a drop-down menu in the new wiki theme I'm working on. I'll see if it's possible...
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

yorik wrote: have the languages in a drop-down menu
Good idea, but still I would provide on the main page a very clear indication that there are translations.

Is maybe possible also to link from the localized main pages (http://www.freecadweb.org/?lang=fr_FR etc. to be clear) directly the right Wiki language version? Of course this also requires to have more main pages.. I volunteer to translate to Italian the new one (should already have done it, but I've been lazy... :oops: )

Ciao
Enrico
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

I'm checking now the Italian home page translation on crowdin.com, that was already prepared by Renato.
However before going on, can you confirm you will use this version (the home page used to be on git)?
The translation of the home page was marked 100%, but was never activated. I guess this is because there are some parts that actually should not have been translated (e.g. "title=Main_Page" should not be "titolo = Pagina_Principale" but "title=Main_Page/it"). I'm not blaming at all Renato, who actually is the only one who worked so far :), it's just that you need to know how the web pages work - not really the easiest task on crowdin.

Yorik, can you confirm?

Ciao
Enrico
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ediloren wrote:Good idea, but still I would provide on the main page a very clear indication that there are translations.
Good point.
ediloren wrote:"title=Main_Page" should not be "titolo = Pagina_Principale" but "title=Main_Page/it"
You are right. I actually did it that way so people would understand it's an URL and should not be translated literally.... Maybe we need to change that.
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

Yorik wrote:I actually did it that way so people would understand it's an URL and should not be translated literally
I have no issue with that, but I'm afraid it is not straightforward for everybody. Some guidelines maybe?

Ciao
Enrico
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

Mmm something is amiss. I see that in the French translation of "title=Main_Page", the translated link is correctly "title=Main_Page/fr"; however on http://www.freecadweb.org/?lang=fr_FR the 'Documentation' link points to "title=Main_Page", so it is not aligned to crowdin.
Any hint here?

As for guidelines, I am trying to use a 'quick win method', i.e. adding a comment to the specific string labels that should not be entirely translated, see https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/27908/en-it

Ciao
Enrico
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

I've done my part. Should you wait for more votes on the different flavours or can we have a go with the latest version in crowdin?

Ciao
Enrico