PartDesign Next in wiki

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Next in wiki

Post by renatorivo »

I did a little research. It seems that "a translation administrator marks the page for translation." See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Ext ... nistration

Then I think you have to ask to switch from editor to editor and admin (extended rights for translation management)

I can not do it, but administrators will be happy to give you permission.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

renatorivo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm Then I think you have to ask to switch from editor to editor and admin (extended rights for translation management)
Since I am still struggling with rather basic editing in the wiki I really am not happy becoming an admin. On the other hand it would be unfair to you and Normand if I refuse, because someone has to do it.
I will think about it.

Anyway, thanks for finding out.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all

the problem Chris is having trying to find the translation stuff is due to his lack of permissions. you have to be in the admin group ...for more details see below.... :)
normandc
chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 pm
renatorivo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm Then I think you have to ask to switch from editor to editor and admin (extended rights for translation management)
Since I am still struggling with rather basic editing in the wiki I really am not happy becoming an admin. On the other hand it would be unfair to you and Normand if I refuse, because someone has to do it.
I will think about it.

Anyway, thanks for finding out.
Hi Chris
I have added you to the admin group (not the administrators group which has really scary super powers! :D )

it adds a few permissions including these two below which explain why you could not do as renatorivo suggested.
  • Manage message groups (translate-manage)
  • Mark versions of pages for translation (pagetranslation)
you will also gain these permissions which may or may not be needed....
  • Create new user accounts (createaccount)
  • Delete pages (delete)
  • Edit pages (edit)
  • Edit the user interface (editinterface)
I can remove you from the admin group if you really badly want me to......but you should be OK.

Jim
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ok, throw me out if I mess things up.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 am Ok, throw me out if I mess things up.
At least you know that since I am on the other side of the planet, I can't easily "come and get you to extract physical revenge"! :lol:
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

*grabs fresh backup of wiki database*

By the way you know there is a wiki staging environment (https://staging.freecad.io/wiki) available for possibly destructive experiments...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 am *grabs fresh backup of wiki database*

By the way you know there is a wiki staging environment (https://staging.freecad.io/wiki) available for possibly destructive experiments...
Good point.
By the way, are our usernames, password and permissions the same for both wikis?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 am
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 am *grabs fresh backup of wiki database*

Good point.
By the way, are our usernames, password and permissions the same for both wikis?
Staging comes from a (now old) backup of the main database, so usernames/passwords should be the same but new permissions may not be.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am At least you know that since I am on the other side of the planet, I can't easily "come and get you to extract physical revenge"! :lol:
You mean the world is round?
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 am By the way you know there is a wiki staging environment (https://staging.freecad.io/wiki) available for possibly destructive experiments...
Good to know.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have successfully marked my first page for translation. Thanks to all who helped.