Contributor Hubs, group all interesting ressources for contributors

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ezzy

Re: Contributor Hubs, group all interesting ressources for contributors

Post by Ezzy »

Looking forward to helping with wiki (this is my first post, so I can PM, so I can get editing permissions on wiki to correct tutorials..

Thanks
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Ezzy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm Looking forward to helping with wiki (this is my first post, so I can PM, so I can get editing permissions on wiki to correct tutorials..

Thanks
Created an account for you. Please see your forum dashboard. Cheers!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

I finely find the time to start writing the Contributors Hub page. The first version of the "people person" part is online.
Others part will follow when I will have time.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Mika38 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:45 pm I finely find the time to start writing the Contributors Hub page. The first version of the "people person" part is online.
Others part will follow when I will have time.
I like it ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

I just found this page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Help_FreeCAD. I'm surprise that this page did not pop up before in this conversation. Because, it's a duplicate with a contributor hub, I'm going to merge the "contributor hub" page and the "help FreeCAD" page. And delete the contributor page, if I sort out how. So big change of strategy, I want to push this well written page in the sunlight and make it appear in the main page on the documentation. The name is the only default I found in it:
I don't really like the title of this page. "Help FreeCAD" seems like you can search help there, not like you go there to help. If I'm clear. Also, help it sounds negative. It sounds like FreeCAD need to be saved. Contribute is in my opinion more positive.

Could we renamed "Help FreeCAD" => "Contribute to FreeCAD"?

Also, don't you think that the end of the the "Get involved/How to participate" of the main page is a duplicate with the "help FreeCAD" page. Should there be only one page on the subject? After, it's going to be difficult to maintain if each information is repeated at several place. And I personally don't like the end of this main page, there is too much text for a main page. Don't you think it be nice to place the contribution part next the the other hubs? And place all those duplicated informations in the "Help FreeCAD" page. This way the main page would be more clear and serious.

More questions that action in this message. I still don't fell confident enough to make the change on this page.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed the whole question of "how to contribute to FreeCAD" could be organized better.

But making drastic changes on the wiki always potentially creates a lot of debate, so I would suggest you (unless you don't mind to have your changes mercilessly reverted :mrgreen: ) to prepare your proposals in separate pages first... There is also a "Sandbox:" prefix that you can use to propose different versions of existing pages.
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Thanks Yorik,

I will try to do a sandbox version. By the way, this kind of work flow should be included in this how to contribute page.
Last edited by Mika38 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Mika38 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:13 pm By the way, this kind of work flow should be included in this how to contribute page.
Yes, good idea