Asking for wiki edit permission

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

Re: Asking for wiki edit permission

Post by quick61 »

jmaustpc wrote:
quick61 wrote:Thanks for getting the account fixed up, got the email and i hate to be a bother but... I do not seem to have edit permissions, only user. Whenever someone has a moment.

Mark
Hi Mark
It should work now ...I hope. The set up is a bit buggy, but I put you in "edit" group, so I think that will allow you to edit pages...let me know if it works. :)

Jim
OK, I'll let you know if it works, but should I also let you know if it didn't work, because it does not look like it did. :shock:

I'm not in any sort of a hurry or anything, so if all else fails, Yorik will be back around. It seems he has a firm grasp of that Wiki.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:I was sure I had put him in the Edit group! But it may have been set off when I checked the "Email welcome message with random password to user" option.
It was not ticked but I think this is a little bit buggy to do with the transfer from SF.

If you look here
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... roupRights

there is a "user" group that should have been adequate but it is not a selectable group in the "edit user" page. The page linked to above explains the rights granted to members of the different groups.

I suspect that you have found this because others would have their rights defined on SF where as Mark is a new user?

I noticed that a small number of users (I think they were all newer people) are in the Edit group.

I think we have found a bug though, because there is no group "user" selectable on the edit user page.

here is an example "edit user" page screen shot, modified for privacy...
edituser_example _group_user_not_shown1.jpeg
edituser_example _group_user_not_shown1.jpeg (80.25 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I can't even get to that Edit user page, it brings me back to the Main page. :evil:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:I can't even get to that Edit user page, it brings me back to the Main page. :evil:
Yes, I had that problem a lot as well, I did eventually find a way in though. I went to "user Admin" http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :UserAdmin
then selected "all" at the bottom of the page Quick61 was the last on the massive list at the bottom of the page. On the left of the user name, it had a link "edit", I clicked on that. Then I was finally able to edit his account.

Did you notice that the search did not work properly either?
1) User Administration http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :UserAdmin if you enter a "filter by" anything, it just takes you to the main page
2)Edit user http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... l:EditUser if you enter a valid user name in search it just takes you to the main page
3) user list "display users starting at" does work and if you click on the user name it takes you to the persons page or tries to create one if one does not already exist.
spacether

Re: Wiki moved - testing needed!!!!

Post by spacether »

I am a FreeCad user and I'd like to contribute to the documentation wiki.
I'm having trouble creating a wiki account at:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ChooseName

I've tried using my openid url and my google login, but when I get to the page "Log in / create account with OpenID"
and try to enter a user name and password, the page gives me the error:

'Incorrect password entered. Please try again.'

This page should be making me a new account but it is not.
I've also tried the above sourceforge recommendations: change mail settings, enter in sourceforge userid in the 'forgot your login details'.
Which did not work. The page had no record of my username. I am not a subscriber or contributor to the project on sourceforge. New project subscription is no longer supported on sourceforge.

Can anyone help? How do I get a wiki userid? I want to contribute.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello spacether,

I moved your post to the appropriate topic.

OpenID doesn't work. The Sourceforge recommendations were for existing users of the old SF forum and wiki. On the new wiki a moderator needs to create your wiki account.

Please PM me with your email address and I will create a wiki account for you.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:I went to "user Admin" http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :UserAdmin
then selected "all" at the bottom of the page Quick61 was the last on the massive list at the bottom of the page. On the left of the user name, it had a link "edit", I clicked on that. Then I was finally able to edit his account.
Turns out it didn't work. I repeated the same process on Quick61's account and it didn't work either. I had the same problem with spacether's account. Yorik found that to edit users, you need to be in the "bureaucrat" group. To me it's illogical to allow an "admin" to create users, but prevent him to add them to groups. I guess that's MediaWiki for you.

Yorik has added both of us to the "bureaucrat" group so we should have no further problems with user account creation.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:I went to "user Admin" http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :UserAdmin
Turns out it didn't work. I repeated the same process on Quick61's account and it didn't work either. I had the same problem with spacether's account. Yorik found that to edit users, you need to be in the "bureaucrat" group. To me it's illogical to allow an "admin" to create users, but prevent him to add them to groups. I guess that's MediaWiki for you.

Yorik has added both of us to the "bureaucrat" group so we should have no further problems with user account creation.

Its funny that it worked for me and not you, search still does not work for me, but at least I can sort by clicking on the various headings e.g. ID, User name, creation date etc. then select all and find things that way.

Its weird that Yorik is a member of only two groups but Werner, Juergen, you and I are all in 4 groups, yet Yorik is the "all power full" or is he? :)

the first two are Juergen and Werner then Yorik
wiki_groups.jpeg
wiki_groups.jpeg (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

By the way Norm do you realise your name shows a gmail email address...not a sourceforge one? Of course you may well have intended that, but I just thought I would mention it just in case it is an oversight.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:Its funny that it worked for me and not you,
You didn't understand what I said. NO it didn't work for you, you only think it did.

quick61 and I exchanged PMs about this, your editing of his wiki account had NO effect. He was still not able to edit anything because your adding his user account to the editors group DID NOT WORK. As I said in my earlier post.
jmaustpc wrote:By the way Norm do you realise your name shows a gmail email address...not a sourceforge one?
And why would I have kept the sourceforge one? Is the new wiki still linked to the Sourceforge site? Am I not allowed to change my own email settings? :roll:
psicofil

Post by psicofil »

Hi

I wanted to know if I could have permissions on the Wiki to add my macro "parametric curve" (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3154&start=10) in the "Macros recipes" and help in Spanish translation.

regards
Ing. Gomez Lucio
Scope Ingenieria (scopeingenieria.com)