Module or Workbench

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
renatorivo

Module or Workbench

Postby renatorivo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

About the pages describing a Module, and the difference between Module and Workbench.
Sorry, I know this has already been discussed, but some inconsistencies remain.
See also https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Talk:TechDraw_Module
Considered valid this: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Workbenches
"Workbenches and Modules are different entities. A Module is any extension of FreeCAD, while a Workbench is a special GUI configuration that groups some toolbars and menus. Usually every Module contains its own Workbench"
Criteria:
1 - The page name should always be xx_Module
This is because the page contains information about the module + information about the workbench (Introduction + Tools + API + Links + ...)
2 - Tools is the main section of the page to describe the corresponding Workbench, but not the only one. It is used to present the Workbench intended as GUI of the Module.
3 - Take the utmost care to use the Module or Workbench correctly so as not to confuse the reader.
4 - The model page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_Module

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Renato

Edit
Attachments
wb4.png
wb4.png (6.93 KiB) Viewed 489 times
wb3.png
wb3.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 489 times
wb2.png
wb2.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 489 times
wb1.png
wb1.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 489 times
ulrich1a

Re: Module or Workbench

Postby ulrich1a » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 pm

renatorivo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm
Usually every Module contains its own Workbench
There is at least one exception: The Idf-Module does not define a workbench with a Gui. It consist of special function to import printed-card-board-data and show the board with mounted parts. Other functionalities of a module may only be available as a python command. Remember that FreeCAD also runs from the command line without any gui.

The differentiation between module and workbench seems to be more relevant for users, who wants to extend FreeCAD. For me a module is a programmed extension to FreeCAD, which has its place in one of the mod-directories. Other extensions starts from the macro-directory. Both extensions may define and supply gui-elements, aka "workbench". Even the main functionality of a CAD-system is provided in FreeCAD in the form of modules.

I read from time to time in the forum from users, who seems to be confused about these things. I think we need a short definition of these words in the glossary: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Glossary#M
The glossary needs to be listet in the table of contents. Then it can be found by interested users and FreeCAD authors.

My question is, where to put the glossary in the table of contents, under introduction or working with FreeCAD or at the bottom, where one need to scroll a lot?

Ulrich
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 pm

In the table of contents I would expect it to be at the end, so that is where I would look for it. But it could well be listed on the Main Page as well; and there it could have a more prominent place.
renatorivo

Postby renatorivo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks for the answers.
ulrich1a wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 pm
I read from time to time in the forum from users, who seems to be confused about these things. I think we need a short definition of these words in the glossary: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Glossary#M
The glossary needs to be listet in the table of contents. Then it can be found by interested users and FreeCAD authors.
In fact, in Glossary there is no exhaustive definition of Module, and the Workbench entry is missing.
Welcome to these explanations.
But my question was related to the use of the terms in the titles of the pages that describe the modules, and in their texts.
This seen by those who start with FreeCAD.
From the images above we see that there is no consistency.

Second question:
ulrich1a wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 pm
My question is, where to put the glossary in the table of contents, under introduction or working with FreeCAD or at the bottom, where one need to scroll a lot?
At the end of the first part (basic part), after Tutorials?
ulrich1a

Postby ulrich1a » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I had in the past a more academic view on this, meaning a wiki-entry must be named module, because a workbench is only a part of a module. But I see now, that this view requires a lot of explanation to most first time users. So I am more open now.
I still think, it would be good to have one place with an introduction into the FreeCAD architecture. There a module can be explained for those, who wants to understand more of the internals. An explanation of a workbench may have a link to this page.

So I am now not against renaming wiki entries into workbench. It would also be easier to maintain the documentation. This may left the idf-module, which has no workbench at all, as the only remaining module.

Ulrich
renatorivo

Postby renatorivo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:00 pm

ulrich1a wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm
I had in the past a more academic view on this, meaning a wiki-entry must be named module, because a workbench is only a part of a module. But I see now, that this view requires a lot of explanation to most first time users. So I am more open now.
That's okay with me too. I do not know for others.

Renato