Bunch of TechDraw pages don't have the correct name

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Bunch of TechDraw pages don't have the correct name

Post by ulrich1a »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 pm Is this an old one? It talks about Sourceforge accounts and doesn't have Path or TechDraw.
The helpfile is generated from the wiki-pages and includes what is in the wiki-pages. I have installed the published help file and it has TechDraw and Path.
help_TechDraw.png
help_TechDraw.png (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Installing a new help file to an existing FreeCAD requires to open the help and deinstalling first the old help-file. The required dialog is in the help-assistant edit/preferences:
help_install.png
help_install.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
After removing close the preference dialog and open it again. Now add the new helpfile.

Ulrich
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 am When using the "What's this?" tool on a tool, it should open the help file with the proper page.
Not happening until v0.18, I guess. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1348
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ulrich1a wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm After removing close the preference dialog and open it again. Now add the new helpfile.
Thanks. I can get the new file in QtAssistant now, but my "WhatsThis" tags don't seem to work.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I don't agree with wmayer on this. This means we'll ship a broken Help assistant with 0.17.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Got it working. My steps:
- remove "org.freecad.usermanual" in Help>Help>QtAssistant>Edit>Preferences>Documentation
- shutdown FC
- move new *.qch, *.qhc to buildDir/doc
- restart FC
- add the *.qch file in Help>Help>QtAssistant>Edit>Preferences>Documentation

Right Help, right What'sThis. All good.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:05 pm I don't agree with wmayer on this. This means we'll ship a broken Help assistant with 0.17.
I agree.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I commented the PR. I believe git commit 898cafd7 can be merged without affecting translations.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that WhatsThis support in FreeCAD was inherently broken. Wrong command names set compared to what was on the Wiki, things like Python based commands where using tooltip information instead (code needed to change) ... A lot of this got resolved in FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. FreeCAD 0.17 will therefore be the first release having a decent level of WhatsThis support. I wouldn't worry about it too much if it will not be at 100%. It will still be much better then it ever was.

If there is any interest (due to the WhatsThis revolution as seen in FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle) i can invest a bit of effort and make a small and simple GUI tool. Where inspecting WhatsThis information for FreeCAD commands should i guess be a bit easier.
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

NormandC wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 am I commented the PR. I believe git commit 898cafd7 can be merged without affecting translations.
The reason may be that it could be difficult to merge the all the ts-file now at crowdin, if an additional translation string will be added. Then the ts-files at crowdin and those in the sources have different numbers of strings to be translated.

I would ask to split the PR into one that has only the changes regarding the

Code: Select all

sWhatsThis 
. This can be merged without affecting the translation. The rest has to wait then.

Ulrich
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That's what I meant by only merging git commit 898cafd7... It's the one which has only the sWhatsThis changes.