Tutorial page naming

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Tutorial page naming

Post by NormandC »

I think we need to set some guidelines for tutorial page names.

For example we have

Basic modeling tutorial
Basic Part Design Tutorial
Basic Part Design - Toothbrush-Head-Stand I renamed Toothbrush Head Stand, because I couldn't take all those hyphens and the "Basic Part Design" repetition.
Sketcher Tutorial
Sketcher tutorial nearly identical to the first one. Wish the author had checked first :roll:

Do we really need to name the workbench used in the name?

Do we really need to add "tutorial" in the name, if it's in the Tutorials category? On the other hand, what to do when the tutorial would have the same name as a command page? For example Arch panel tutorial...
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Tutorial page naming

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm Do we really need to name the workbench used in the name?

Do we really need to add "tutorial" in the name, if it's in the Tutorials category?
If a tutorial is about a certain workbench it can well bear the name. I would like to see it there because the name tells me immediately something about the contents.
I don't know enough about search engine algorithms to judge if it is better to have "tutorial" in the name as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

French forum member GlouGlou wrote a nice PartDesign 0.17 beginner tutorial in French. I told him I would translate it in English.

But first I have to decide on how to name it! :?

It's a very simple part. We already have a "Basic Part Design Tutorial" (two actually, 0.16 and 0.17) but the new one is simpler and shorter (which makes it very useful indeed). So how do I name it? "Really Basic Part Design Tutorial"?

And what if someone adds another "basic" tutorial? Do we name it "Yet another basic Part Design Tutorial"?

See what I mean when I say we badly need naming conventions? But people don't seem to care about this. :|
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Maybe : First Steps Tutorial and rename the classic one to "Multi Feature" or "Features Step by Step"
i also still have a 3rd , once shown shortly in the tutorial thread , in the box, showing FC17 new possibilities
only which i want to finish soon. I was concentrating o translation of the classic tut into German the last days...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Both tutorials are on a similar level, both use several features, Glouglou's starting with less and ending with more (Datum geometry). I would simply give them numbers until we come up with something better.

Concerning the 0.16 basic tutorial: Can we remove it from the main tutorial page and link it from the 0.17 tutorial? We really don't want anyone to start now with FreeCAD 0.16, do we?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.