Basic TechDraw Tutorial for Review

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Basic TechDraw Tutorial for Review

Post by wandererfan »

There's been a couple of comments in the forum about the non-existence of this: Basic TechDraw Tutorial. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

One specific problem - I could not get the language bar to appear. I put it at the top, the bottom and in between, but it refuses to show up.

Thanks,
wf
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Basic TechDraw Tutorial for Review

Post by renatorivo »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 pm There's been a couple of comments in the forum about the non-existence of this: Basic TechDraw Tutorial. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
wandererfan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 pm One specific problem - I could not get the language bar to appear. I put it at the top, the bottom and in between, but it refuses to show up.
Now there is.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Great! It looks pretty complete, why not rename it to Basic TechDraw Tutorial now?

I made minor edits to the Titlebox. You don't need to show the Author name's twice, with and without link. You are linking to a non-existing User wiki page: you can create one, or remove the link, or link to your forum profile instead.

I added a carriage return <br /> between the two linked files, I thought it would be clearer for the 2nd file to be on a line below? You can delete it if you don't like. BTW the second file brings up a Jedi who tries to play mind tricks on me.

One other thing: in "Going further", you show an image of an iso view with dimensions. But the dims' extension lines can only be projected correctly in v0.18.

This is how it will look in v0.17:
FC017_TechDraw_Iso_Dims_01.png
FC017_TechDraw_Iso_Dims_01.png (64.81 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Maybe we should add a comment to the effect proper isometric dim extension lines are only implemented in v0.18, otherwise there's going to be a lot of questions.

wandererfan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 pm One specific problem - I could not get the language bar to appear. I put it at the top, the bottom and in between, but it refuses to show up.
It appears only after a wiki admin such as Renato or myself (and a few others) marks a page for translation. Each time there is a new revision to a page, an admin needs to mark the page for translation again. Let me know if you want me to bump you up to wiki admin status. I won't begrudge you if you don't. :D
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:03 pm Great! It looks pretty complete, why not rename it to Basic TechDraw Tutorial now?
Because I'm not an administrator and can't "manage translatable pages"! :lol:
Please move it or make me an administrator and I'll do it.

Note added, sample file uploaded - good to go.

wf
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am Please move it or make me an administrator and I'll do it.
I was too impatient to put this in the Tutorials page, so I moved it myself :D

Page now lives at Basic TechDraw Tutorial.

But I also gave you wiki admin status for the next time, as well as translator. You can now rename, delete and mark pages for translation.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 pm I was too impatient to put this in the Tutorials page, so I moved it myself :D
Merci monsieur.
But I also gave you wiki admin status for the next time, as well as translator. You can now rename, delete and mark pages for translation.
Now we're in big trouble. Thanks!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Tutorial added to Tutorials#Technical_Drawings

And I translated it to French! Thanks for this tutorial Wandererfan.