Template:Sketcher Tools migrated into main Sketcher Workbench page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Template:Sketcher Tools migrated into main Sketcher Workbench page

Post by NormandC »

Hey guys,

I just finished migrating the Template:Sketcher_Tools content to the main Sketcher Workbench page. The reason is that it's just a giant pain trying to keep translated templates in sync with the English one, because they aren't linked by the Translation engine. For new contributors, it is not easy to understand how the stuff works.

What this means though, is that it invalidates all the stuff that was imported as template in the translated WB pages. All the Sketcher tools revert back to English. :|

I just finished a run of cut & paste between the French and Italian template pages and their main wb pages. Heck of a job. I've had enough for now, I can't see straight! :?

In the coming days, I'll try to complete any other existing translation, the German one is next.

Once this is complete, it will be much easier to keep translations in sync.

BTW I reorganized the listed order as per the Sketch menu. Oh, and there were a lot of missing sketcher tools, mainly the B-spline tools. I added them to the list, but for now they are red links, the command pages need to be created too...
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Template:Sketcher Tools migrated into main Sketcher Workbench page

Post by Kunda1 »

Awesome work, NormandC. :thumbsup:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I am no way fluent in German, but I'm translating parts of Sketcher Workbench/de through Google Translate, and some of the content seems completely different from Sketcher Workbench.

Translations are supposed to mirror the original English page. We decided years ago for maintenance reasons that we could not maintain an asymmetric wiki with other languages that don't have the same content as the English one. It is even more important with the Translation engine that we started using a few years back. As it is, quite a good number of the translation units don't match... :?

Anyway, I tried to put back the translation units I could, but I don't like this situation...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We have a member in the german forum - now being hardly active at all - who wanted to improve the documentation independently from the english version. There were some unsavory discussions (I got upset several times) concerning the overall approach as well as hte documentation itself. I'm afraid these are still leftovers.

Several weeks ago I have asked for help in the german subforum to improve the overall situation, because there are many pages which haven't been translated at all. I still hope we get significant improvements for 0.18.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.