Proposal: Categorizing all related WB pages to each other

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Proposal: Categorizing all related WB pages to each other

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am ...
Spanish, spoken by 437 million people over the world? Barely anything translated. Brazilian Portugese, by 200 million? Neither.
And German, from which country FreeCAD is most downloaded after the USA (based on old Sourceforge statistics), and which has a dedicated forum with a lot of active regulars, is mostly nowhere translation-wise. Go figure.

And I'm not even mentioning Chinese...
I didn't realize how lacking FreeCAD is in translations. It's usually the easiest thing to contribute from users who are otherwise not programmers. It's surprising that there are missing Spanish and German translations. Those are major languages, and usually receive a lot of attention by dedicated native speakers.

I guess FreeCAD just needs to get more popular, then people will start flocking to use it, and with it the translations will improve.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:55 pm a2) Currently stalled, waiting on the mediawiki extension to be installed so that we can make a sweeping change to many pages at once instead of manually editing each one specifically.
I can try installing that extension, but it won't help much in this case, for ex. if you try adding [[Category:FEM]] to all pages that have the word "FEM" in them, this might bring more disorder than order, no?
Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:55 pm a2.1) Impact: I think the Recent Changes may be bloated reporting all the edits that would be made. You need to consider translation AKA each Arch page is most likely translated to another language, so in turn you'd need to create (for example): [[Categtory:Arch/po]] for portuguese translated pages etc...etc.. This would be easier to implement, again, using the Mediawiki extension.
In this case, translation is not such a big deal. If you add [[Category:Arch]], for example, to all Arch pages, well, all translations of these pages will also get the [[Category:Arch]] category, which will of course become cluttered with all the translated versions of all the pages. That is, until translators start going over these page and change the [[Category:Arch]] to [[Category:Arch/ru]], [[Category:Arch/fr]], etc. But that's the way things work on that wiki, slowly but surely things get ordered...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 pm I can try installing that extension, but it won't help much in this case, for ex. if you try adding [[Category:FEM]] to all pages that have the word "FEM" in them, this might bring more disorder than order, no?
Clarrification, I'm not saying that it should iterate through the whole wiki and add everypage that mentions FEM to the FEM category.
AFAIU, you can tell the extension what pages you want to change and it can append said string to said page(s)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I've gotten pywikibot to work on my local machine. I'll be doing some dry run experiments to append categories per workbench. Then when I'm ready I will make it happen. Then we'll be able to click on [[Category:Arch]] links and see all or most all Arch related commands and pages (I'll be searching for all pages on the wiki that begin with 'Arch' for example to do this).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 am I've gotten pywikibot to work on my local machine. I'll be doing some dry run experiments to append categories per workbench. Then when I'm ready I will make it happen. Then we'll be able to click on [[Category:Arch]] links and see all or most all Arch related commands and pages (I'll be searching for all pages on the wiki that begin with 'Arch' for example to do this).
The wiki includes a section on pywikibot. https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/WikiRobots However, like much of the wiki, it seems to be old information, that hasn't been updated in years. I haven't tried it yet, but it's something that I'd like to be able to use at some point.

Maybe you can update the information so it's clearer how to use pywikibot on the FreeCAD wiki. In particular, the old information says that you need to take a specific package from a specific repository, and it's kind of confusing. If it were me, I'd try with the information directly on MediaWiki, which is something apparently you did.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.