Template:Userdocnavi

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Template:Userdocnavi

Post by renatorivo »

Template:Userdocnavi https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:Userdocnavi was abandoned a few years ago, now returns?
What do the administrators think?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Template:Userdocnavi

Post by Kunda1 »

LGTM :thumbsup:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

In this case it must be added to all pages.
To me it seems only a duplicate of the sidebar :?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm with Renato. BTW Renato you can find vocx's intent here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31849

I'm annoyed that he didn't wait for feedback before starting using it. And that he made a redirect to the existing template, rather than using the original template.

It complicates translation work, as if it was not hard enough already.

Am I naive in hoping that English-only speaking people will ever stop being oblivious to other languages, and how their changes may affect them? :|

We did work to remove templates used for tools from workbench pages because templates are not recognized by the translation plugin. Templates need to be translated separately, outside of the translation system, which means that they cannot be synchronized with the original English page. So translators, instead of using the translation system, need to create the translated template pages manually. The whole procedure is a %?&*()! PITA.

I'm also quite annoyed with the rash of new templates and redirects (Enter, ENTER, ENT, SHIFT, Shift, SHFT, Alt, ALT, Seriously?!?) that vocx created. We already have the {{KEY}} template for that, and it does not need to be translated because we can put any text we want, and it can be translated. So the English page will use {{KEY|Shift}} and it will be translated in French as {{KEY|Maj}} and in Italian as {{KEY|Maiusc}} and so on. Most translators struggle with understanding the whole MediaWiki syntax, please let's not complicate things further.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think the old doc navigation system (with previous and next pages) is rather obsolete, and not very useful anymore with the current state of the wiki. It seems to me having a system that relates more on similar subjects is becoming more appropriate than a linear system...
NormandC wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am I'm annoyed that he didn't wait for feedback before starting using it. And that he made a redirect to the existing template, rather than using the original template.
That's the idea of a wiki, anyone can do that kind of stuff, with the risk of having edits mercilessly reverted ;)

In any case let's bring vocx to this discussion:
vocx wrote: ping
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:39 pm I think the old doc navigation system (with previous and next pages) is rather obsolete
Not to mention that it is a pain to keep up to date, and to translate. Personally I find the docnav useless and never use it.

I have to admit that the navigation issue would be solved with a migration to gitbook, since it basically keeps a full table of content in the sidebar.

What about changing the sidebar links to the ones from Userdocnavi? The problem is, I still have no clue how to edit the sidebar, and I searched how. I can't make heads or tails of the used code.

yorik wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:39 pm with the risk of having edits mercilessly reverted ;)
Oh, I thought about it alright...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The sidebar is at Mediawiki:Sidebar IIRC. But in any case it is a pretty annoying, static sidebar. Indeed the ideal would be something that updates automatically.

But I'm still looking at alternatives that wouldn't be so radical as moving out of mediawiki, but would still allow us to "republish" somehow its contents to different platforms..
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:16 am LGTM :thumbsup:
Please. No acronyms that haven't been explained previously. I don't know what that means.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am I'm with Renato. BTW Renato you can find vocx's intent here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31849

I'm annoyed that he didn't wait for feedback before starting using it. And that he made a redirect to the existing template, rather than using the original template.
I apologize for that. I wanted to try my hand at the wiki and do some things. The only way to really learn is to go ahead and do it. I'd like to explain a bit my reasoning in a longer post.
It complicates translation work, as if it was not hard enough already.

Am I naive in hoping that English-only speaking people will ever stop being oblivious to other languages, and how their changes may affect them? :|

We did work to remove templates used for tools from workbench pages because templates are not recognized by the translation plugin. Templates need to be translated separately, outside of the translation system, which means that they cannot be synchronized with the original English page. So translators, instead of using the translation system, need to create the translated template pages manually. The whole procedure is a %?&*()! PITA.
Thank you for the explanation. If this is really an issue I'd rather not use those templates. But as I said, I wanted to try a few things here and there.
I'm also quite annoyed with the rash of new templates and redirects (Enter, ENTER, ENT, SHIFT, Shift, SHFT, Alt, ALT, Seriously?!?) that vocx created. We already have the {{KEY}} template for that, and it does not need to be translated because we can put any text we want, and it can be translated. So the English page will use {{KEY|Shift}} and it will be translated in French as {{KEY|Maj}} and in Italian as {{KEY|Maiusc}} and so on. Most translators struggle with understanding the whole MediaWiki syntax, please let's not complicate things further.
I agree that it's not okay to complicate things. Now that I know it causes issues, maybe we can revert those changes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

yorik wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:39 pm I think the old doc navigation system (with previous and next pages) is rather obsolete, and not very useful anymore with the current state of the wiki. It seems to me having a system that relates more on similar subjects is becoming more appropriate than a linear system...
I like the {{Userdocnavi}} navigation system. To me it's a good idea that could be revamped. The template with previous and next doesn't automatically update, it requires the editor of a page to define this so it's bound to break if nobody changes the page. The navigation template only has to be updated once and it positively affects all pages.

NormandC wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am I'm annoyed that he didn't wait for feedback before starting using it. And that he made a redirect to the existing template, rather than using the original template.
That's the idea of a wiki, anyone can do that kind of stuff, with the risk of having edits mercilessly reverted ;)

In any case let's bring vocx to this discussion:
vocx wrote: ping
Thanks for the patience. I went with the philosophy of "let's try something already", instead of waiting for input. Of course, the majority wins, so if you don't like the changes, you can always revert the stuff. I took a couple of days off so I disconnected, but now I'm back, and can look into this further.