[Lowercase links] Use a lower case title for a wiki page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Lowercase links] Use a lower case title for a wiki page

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 am I don't think it makes sense for a person who has absolutely no understanding of FreeCAD, computers, or technology in general, to translate FreeCAD or the FreeCAD wiki just because he or she knows many languages. That's just not realistic.
You are right, but your implications go the wrong way. Nobody said that translators don't have to know FreeCAD, they don't have to know wiki syntax. You don't have to believe it, but it often happened in the past - and I have told you already.
Moreover, you are implying that translator will never be able to learn the wiki syntax.
Nobody said that. And nobody said that translators cannot learn wiki syntax. In the opposite: I am the still living proof, because I have translated wiki pages and have learned some wiki syntax. Please let's stick to the facts: Go to the wiki, open a page for translation and see what we talk about. An excuse would be better than clinging to your current view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 am Wiki editing and wiki translators use a different interface, and because it isn't necessary for a translator to learn anything about the wiki syntax, we shouldn't add that as a mental dependency, whether it's a small effort or not. It isn't impossible to separate the two, in fact it's already that way. ...
How is it a different interface, when the translation is done in the wiki itself? Every piece of markup works in the translated pages as well. It's the same "environment". It's not separate.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 pm ... they don't have to know wiki syntax.
But you have! How can editing the wiki not require you to know the wiki? Translating the wiki is editing the wiki.
Moreover, you are implying that translator will never be able to learn the wiki syntax.
Nobody said that. And nobody said that translators cannot learn wiki syntax.
That's what "implying" means. It means that you didn't say it, but what you said has the meaning of that thing that you didn't say.
Go to the wiki, open a page for translation and see what we talk about.
Obviously I have seen the translation interface. It's the same thing as editing the wiki. You can use every type of markup that the wiki allows. Therefore, translators should be familiar with the wiki syntax. They shouldn't have to memorize everything, but they should have the https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Help:Editing reference at hand. I don't get how this is a complex matter.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

The rule is that each one contributes according to what he knows and can do. Nobody is obliged to do anything.
Everything must be seen in the light of this rule, which can not be questioned.
Three people simply asked you to respect a consolidated convention in the group of collaborators. Do you want to collaborate, or do what you want? You are free to do as you wish.

If I'm wrong some administrator will correct me.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:30 pm ...
Three people simply asked you to respect a consolidated convention in the group of collaborators.
What is the convention? Is the convention that every link should be included like this [[Part Workbench|Part Workbench]]? So that when you translate you can write it like this [[Part Workbench/xx|Partoe Woerkbenche]]?

Because if that is the convention, then every single link in the entire wiki should be written like that.

(That's a fake language, by the way, don't you guys assume I'm being mean.)
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

vocx wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm Because if that is the convention, then every single link in the entire wiki should be written like that.
Yes or almost. All links intended to be translated should be written as [[Part Workbench|Part Workbench]].
Obviously this is not necessary for links that do not need translation.
Perhaps this convention is not written anywhere, I do not remember, but it has always been applied.

If we can respect this we give a great help to translators.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm Yes or almost. All links intended to be translated should be written as [[Part Workbench|Part Workbench]].
Obviously this is not necessary for links that do not need translation.
But that's every single link in the wiki. Everything is supposed to be translated. It may be an impossible feat to accomplish, but that's the idea, that nobody is left out, everything should be accessible to other languages.
Perhaps this convention is not written anywhere, I do not remember, but it has always been applied.
The general guidelines are in https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/WikiPages but there is no specific mention of this. Also, it's not applied everywhere consistently. It appears in some pages, but most links aren't set up like that, which is why I never suspected it was considered a convention.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

vocx wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm Obviously I have seen the translation interface. It's the same thing as editing the wiki.
This comment is laughable.

How can we take you seriously when you write something like this.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:05 pm
vocx wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm Obviously I have seen the translation interface. It's the same thing as editing the wiki.
This comment is laughable.

How can we take you seriously when you write something like this.
I don't suppose you understand what being condescending means. But I urge you to avoid that.

The interface is a text box, as simple as that. You write text in a box, and you save your changes. That is all there is to it. Whether you are editing the English page or you are editing a translation, you have to do the same type of work, write text, add markup, links, templates, bullets, and save your changes. That's why knowing the wiki markup, or having the Help:Editing page at hand, is helpful when editing the wiki, and this includes the translations.