Pages appearance

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Pages appearance

Post by renatorivo »

I appreciated some improvements made to the Draft pages.
Other things, however, seem to me that they do not improve the appearance, and make reading more difficult.
Before writing, I took a look at the documentation of Gimp, Inkscape, Blender. They are all more sober.

Other examples can be seen in the Solid Edge or Solidworks documentation. The texts are very little formatted. This is to facilitate reading.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Pages appearance

Post by NormandC »

I agree completely with you Renato. We should strive not to make pages look like Christmas trees.

For example, having "TRUE" in green and "FALSE" in red is not only useless, it's not even coloured that way in FreeCAD. So what's the point?

vocx wrote:
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 pm I agree completely with you Renato. We should strive not to make pages look like Christmas trees.

For example, having "TRUE" in green and "FALSE" in red is not only useless, it's not even coloured that way in FreeCAD. So what's the point?

vocx wrote:
That template already existed. It was created by Mario or Renato, I'm not sure. We can change it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

vocx wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm That template already existed. It was created by Mario or Renato, I'm not sure. We can change it.
2012 ott 25‎ immediately abandoned, it remained only as an example.

Template categories proposed

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:KEY
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:PropertyData
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:PropertyView
They seem valid

I would make small changes in
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:Button
and in the property options.
button.png
button.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 888 times
options.png
options.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 888 times
The button border remembers that it is similar to a key, but it is a GUI command instead.
Italic should mean that it is an option.
The GUI commands would be italicized, but this would not be true for PropertyData and PropertyView
There are interconnected relationships that perhaps need other solutions.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm ...

I would make small changes in
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:Button
and in the property options.
button.png
options.png
The button border remembers that it is similar to a key, but it is a GUI command instead.
Italic should mean that it is an option.
The GUI commands would be italicized, but this would not be true for PropertyData and PropertyView
There are interconnected relationships that perhaps need other solutions.
Fine by me.

I'd prefer the Button to have a different border thickness from the KEY. Something needs to be different. A thicker border would be my preference, something that indicates "this can be pressed". Changing the font to italics is not my preference because in the user interface the letters on the button aren't normally in italics; we should try to mimic the user interface as possible. So I think upright letter, with something else is enough. In my case, I just put the text on bold, as that was the style already used in the documentation.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

vocx wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm I'd prefer the Button to have a different border thickness from the KEY. Something needs to be different.
Fully agree
vocx wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm Changing the font to italics is not my preference because in the user interface the letters on the button aren't normally in italics; we should try to mimic the user interface as possible.
I also agree with this.
Imitate the perfectly rectangular contours? (This in my GUI)
CatturaButton.PNG
CatturaButton.PNG (16.9 KiB) Viewed 856 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I agree. Rectangular buttons are well recognizable even for those not using windows systems.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Buttons have rounded corners on Ubuntu, but I don't mind square corners, it would help differentiate it from the KEY template.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 am Buttons have rounded corners on Ubuntu, but I don't mind square corners, it would help differentiate it from the KEY template.
I agree. Basically, any way to differentiate it is fine.