Improve Download page ideas (Take 2)

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AR795

Re: Improve Download page ideas (Take 2)

Post by AR795 »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 pm The new download page is active and looking great!
I am glad the page is up and running. Thanks!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

AR795 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 pm The new download page is active and looking great!
I am glad the page is up and running. Thanks!
The a lot AR795
very nice artwork 😀
AR795

Post by AR795 »

easyw-fc wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:31 pm The a lot AR795
very nice artwork
Thanks!
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I was looking for ways to optimize the webpage when I came across chromium developers tools. It contains an feature called, Audits, that can scan websites and identify issues with performance. I ran the test for both freecadweb.org and the github pages demo (ar795.github.io/FreeCAD-Homepage) and the results were a bit interesting.

The scores for freecadweb.org:
score_freecadweb.png
score_freecadweb.png (19.92 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

And the github pages demo, are quite different:
score_github_pages.png
score_github_pages.png (19.45 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

I was previously under the impression that, given two web pages with similiar content, both would get similiar performance scores, but turns out that this is not always the case.

So to find out more about optimization, I did a bit of research and found some suggestions for making web pages load faster, namely:

1.) Using webp format for images (reduces image size, but AFAIK it is not yet supported in firefox).
2.) Using HTTP/2 for resources (found this website that does a comparision https://imagekit.io/demo/http2-vs-http1).
3.) Lazy loading images.

Plus some addition topics that include caching and improving accessibility.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

AR795 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 pm I am glad the page is up and running. Thanks!
Very nice work @AR795, thanks for your continued work on this :)
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

HTTP/2 is the main performance improvement I wanted to look into, but having the homepage on shared hosting doesn't give me the ability to mess with that.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm Very nice work @AR795, thanks for your continued work on this :)
Thanks!

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 pm having the homepage on shared hosting doesn't give me the ability to mess with that.
I see. I wasn't aware about shared hosting for the homepage.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Noticed a nice looking download page today. When visiting FreeCAD homepage.

Good job!
AR795

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm Noticed a nice looking download page today. When visiting FreeCAD homepage.
Good job!
Thanks!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Improve Download page ideas (Take 2) - Topic: Development download page

Post by Kunda1 »

@AR795 this is such a good job. Thank you for realizing it!
So we now have a functioning Download page showing the stable version.

Now that I have the proof of concept and semi-implementation of keeping the Appimage page up to date for the FreeCAD development version (it's updated via pywikibot), can we start talking about creating a section for development version?

What I'm thinking is to discuss what it would look like and how would it distinguish itself, presentation-wise, from the stable version. Should it be on the same page (but in a collapsed <div> hiding it from end-users). Should it be in a separate page with a link from the stable version page ?
Etc..etc..

In the meantime....I'm working on the backend script that will keep the URLs up to date on this theoretical development download page. The github API allows us to grab all sorts of useful info. You can try it via the CLI:

Code: Select all

curl -s 'https://api.github.com/repos/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tags/0.18_pre' | jq --raw-output '. | .assets[] | {Build: .name, Size: .size, Downloaded: .download_count, Created: .created_at, Uploader: .uploader.login, Link: .browser_download_url}'
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs