Moved / buried in a header?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Moved / buried in a header?

Post by garya »

I was looking at the PartDesign Hole page and the PartDesign Multitransform page and noticed the multitransform page had the image shifted up to fill the whitespace below the intro. I modified the hole page to do the same. While thinking about it overnight, I wondered if the "600px" hard specification was necessary. When I went to edit it again to see if it would work without the 600px, I could not figure out how to do so because the entire spec,
"[[Image:multitransform_example.png|600px|left]]"
Had been moved / absorbed someplace else -- yet the effect of the edit seemed to persist.
Can someone explain to me what is happening here, and how to edit that information?
I also noticed I omitted the
"{{clear}}"
part to space the next section down below the longer of the two columns and thought I would add it.
garya

Re: Moved / buried in a header?

Post by garya »

Never mind; I had multiple copies of the page loaded and one was obsolete.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Dynamic scaling images is not ideal, we should rather properly dimension the image before upload... I admit I could have done that in this case.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how a 600px (or smaller) image will display on a high dpi display.
garya

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 pm Dynamic scaling images is not ideal, we should rather properly dimension the image before upload... I admit I could have done that in this case.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how a 600px (or smaller) image will display on a high dpi display.
I hadn't thought about the hi-dpi display issue (I don't have one)... Given that we're starting from a display capture and not a hi-res photographic image, my guess is it's better to start with a full-size image (at least for those not working on hi-dpi displays) and scale. Otherwise I suspect it will be noticeably fuzzy or pixelated on the larger display.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Smartphones have high dpi displays. Mine has a 5" 1080p screen. This 600px resized image isn't so bad, but the icons are too small, much smaller than the text (that's true for all wiki pages that contain 24px or 32px icons). But I don't see what we can do about it.