Mediawiki:Sidebar

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Mediawiki:Sidebar

Post by Kunda1 »

Here's everything you wanted to know about the Mediawiki Sidebar
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar

Our Sidebar is at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar

I personally find the sidebar very hard to utilize.
  • It's long (goes off screen) which perhaps we can collapse or modify?
  • It has a lot of info on it that doesn't flow when I read it, the names of the links have extraneous words that make them take up 2 lines instead of 1
    Ex. Navigating in the 3D space, Working with workbenches etc..
  • We can nest similar subjects like

Code: Select all

Working with:
      Workbenches
      Constrains
      Meshes

• My preference is to have the Recent Changes link in some portion of the first section of the sidebar, that's what I'm used to and how I check the activity of a wiki.
Couple of things: The sidebar changed when we updated to a new mediwiki version. Whatever happened to the old sidebar ?
also I recognize that translation will be affected, hence I'm willing to learn what that would be to merit 'invasive-enough' editing?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Re: Mediawiki:Sidebar

Post by yorik »

I'm all for simplification too. Indeed there should be only a handful of very simple items...
Translation is not such a big issue I suppose, it's not a lot of text anyway
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 am I personally find the sidebar very hard to utilize.
We can nest similar subjects like

Code: Select all

Working with:
  Workbenches
  Constrains
  Meshes
I agree with you that the Sidebar doesn't make sense currently. This is the reason I decided to revive {{Userdocnavi}} template, which is used at the bottom of pages. It is a fast way to jump to different sections of the wiki with single words, "Workbenches", "Arch", "Draft", "Tutorials", etc.

This was already partially-discussed in a previous thread.
vocx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 pm According to MediaWiki https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar
To customize the MediaWiki:Sidebar on a wiki, you need first to be logged in with a user that has the editinterface permission - for administrators this is enabled by default. (For information on assigning a permission to groups or users, see Manual:User rights.)

Then, use a link to a page on your wiki, but replace your wiki page's title (e.g. Main_Page) in the URL/Address bar with MediaWiki:Sidebar and load that page - you should now see the current content of the sidebar. (You may need to use the syntax //yourdomain/yourwiki/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Sidebar&action=edit if you use long URLs.)
renatorivo wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 am
vocx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:41 am NormandC wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:22 am
@renato: so you can't edit pages under the "Mediawiki:" namespace?
I can, now I have found a way to access, but I have not yet understood well how it works. I do not want to make disasters.
As soon as I have a little time, I'll do some tests ..
As I see it, the conclusion from that is that
  • Only administrators can edit the sidebar. Who exactly has administrator rights? Apparently renato has those rights and he can edit the necessary pages, but he doesn't want to because he isn't experienced enough and doesn't want to create a mess.
  • The sidebar currently works by inserting templates in different languages, so it works for different interfaces. Therefore, in order to change the sidebar properly, the English text should be simplified, but also the translations.
  • The documentation may eventually migrate away from the wiki, so doing a bunch of work on it (changing the sidebar) may not even be necessary. That is, why invest time to fix something that may be scrapped anyway? I personally think that the sidebar should still be changed now, even if the plan is to migrate to another system eventually.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vocx wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 pm Only administrators can edit the sidebar. Who exactly has administrator rights? Apparently renato has those rights and he can edit the necessary pages, but he doesn't want to because he isn't experienced enough and doesn't want to create a mess.
I do.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 am My preference is to have the Recent Changes link in some portion of the first section of the sidebar, that's what I'm used to and how I check the activity of a wiki.
In this way?
sidebar3.png
sidebar3.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

renatorivo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:40 am In this way?
Try it and see :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Dude, he already did.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm Dude, he already did.
Duh, weird how i didn't register that when I saw the graphic. LGTM.