TOC thoughts

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

TOC thoughts

Post by garya »

Thoughts on current manual format, which has the [wiki]Manual:TOC[/wiki] always at the head of a page on the left:
  1. The TOC takes up a lot of usable space, making the entire page more difficult to read. The first stuff you see is almost always only the TOC and empty space on the right -- nothing you are interested in. You have to scroll down for the first text.
  2. It is (apparently) difficult to utilize the vacant space to the right of the TOC.
  3. It is relatively easy to put the TOC on the right and utilize the space to the left. See PartDesign_Workbench
Suggestions:
  1. Omit the TOC on the left
  2. Consider changing the center link in the Nav bar
    1. TOC as center link. The Index is available from the TOC. A user frequently accessing the Index could keep it open in a separate tab.
    2. Keep the Index in the middle and let users keep the TOC open in a separate tab.
    3. Perhaps better, is there a way to have a pair of links in the center of the nav bar, e.g. TOC Index? Both are useful, and it is difficult to prioritize one over the other. I use both in things like the FreeBSD User's Manual or the GIMP User's Manual. The GIMP user's manual has a pair of items at the bottom, one for Top of Page and one for Index. I don't find Top of Page particularly useful, and would prefer TOC there.
  3. Alternately, move the TOC to the right, as is done in PartDesign_Workbench
Side note:
Why doesn't the "Manual:TOC" wiki reference show as a link? Or at least it doesn't in my "Preview" view.
yorik
Founder

Re: TOC thoughts

Post by yorik »

I would vote for a right toc, PartDesign style
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

garya wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm Why doesn't the "Manual:TOC" wiki reference show as a link?
As I replied in the other topic, colon (:) is not recognized - no special character is except for underscore.
garya

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 pm
garya wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm Why doesn't the "Manual:TOC" wiki reference show as a link?
As I replied in the other topic, colon (:) is not recognized - no special character is except for underscore.
It's recognized in some contexts, such as docnav. But not in others, such as transclusion. Can you give me a more complete explanation of where it is recognized and where it is not?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I was talking about the wiki tag on the forum, and how links are rendered on the forum with it. The wiki itself is not in question here.

The wiki tag is a custom BBCode tag that was created to make wiki links easier and not have to paste the whole URL. I think I created it myself back when I was a forum admin. All it does is to add http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/ before the text inside the tags. I've been a long time wiki contributor and I memorized many wiki page names, so using this wiki tag is quicker for me than to hunt down the page so I can copy-paste its link.

I have no idea why the wiki forum tag does not work with colon or other special characters - as I already said, no other characters than underscore work.

Edit: yep, I did create the wiki forum tag. New BBCode added for direct wiki links, opinions?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think it's a very useful feature, NormandC. I thank you (retroactively :wink:)
I didn't read the thread but I wonder if it's now perhaps possible for us to improve the feature to accommodate colons etc...?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Testing: [wiki]Manual%3AIntroduction[/wiki] *EDIT* Doesn't work.. too bad :)