Japanese translation

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cxe01263

Japanese translation

Post by cxe01263 »

Dear the administrators and moderators, thank you for giving me permission to edit wiki yesterday.
I was able to successfully create the first translation "Help_FreeCAD/ja" from "Help_FreeCAD".
However, I found "Help_FreeCAD/jp" by chance.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Categor ... ntation/jp
There are */ja and */jp in the Japanese translation, guessing as follows.
*/ja is the current genuine version, almost undeveloped.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Category:Categories/ja
*/jp is a great legacy of the sourceforge era.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Category:Categories/jp
I think that it is faster to rename */jp and modify it than to rework */ja, but how about that?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Japanese translation

Post by Kunda1 »

cxe01263 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 am I think that it is faster to rename */jp and modify it than to rework */ja, but how about that?
I could probably do this. Just need the green light from NormandC and yorik
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The problem is that the current system is handled with the mediawiki Translation plugin. Internally, it cuts down a page into small chunks (/ja/1, /ja/2 ,...) then the corresponding translated page (pagename/ja) is rebuilt automatically when a chunk changes. If we rename a /jp page to /ja, it won't be properly handled by the translation system and will be destroyed/rebuilt if someone touches the translations.

The only reliable way I see is do some tedious copy/pasting between the old jp pages into the different sections of the translation system. But I'll do a bit of research on the net, there might exist smarter ways...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm The problem is that the current system is handled with the mediawiki Translation plugin. Internally, it cuts down a page into small chunks (/ja/1, /ja/2 ,...) then the corresponding translated page (pagename/ja) is rebuilt automatically when a chunk changes. If we rename a /jp page to /ja, it won't be properly handled by the translation system and will be destroyed/rebuilt if someone touches the translations.

The only reliable way I see is do some tedious copy/pasting between the old jp pages into the different sections of the translation system. But I'll do a bit of research on the net, there might exist smarter ways...
We could perhaps use the pywikibot that I got working (which now just updates the Appimage page) to do the tedious copy pasting?. I'll try to ask the translation plugin authors if there is a fast way to do what we need.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

according to ISO 3166 to alpha-2 landcode of Japan is JP
Don't know if there are other standards with this regard...
cxe01263

Post by cxe01263 »

Hello, everybody. Thank you for replying seriously.
I am very sorry, please lower the priority of this case. I noticed more serious challenges.
I am at a loss as to whether to engage in Japanese translation now.

<New issues>
===========================================================
There is an automatic translation function in google chrome and I noticed that this wiki is also effective. However, it is not all-purpose. If google is incorrectly delimited by long sentences, meaninglessness and missing will occur. If we put the English version in a state suitable for automatic translation, translation of wiki may be unnecessary. For example, avoid epic expressions, avoid long sentences, delimit short sentences, list in bullets.
I feel sorry for those who have been engaged in translation until now, but I think that development resources should focus on improving content, not translation.
===========================================================

Since it is a story concerning all languages and translators, I should originally set up a topic with "google chrome translation automatic", but I will write it here because it makes me feel that the topics are muddy.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes it is true that the bettering of automatic translation tools makes manual translation progressively less important... But on the other hand I think most people who work on the translations have also other objectives in mind, like using that activity as a learning tool (translating the wiki is an excellent way to learn freecad), or to promote the use of freecad in their own country (having the wiki properly translated is a big "selling" point)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:04 pm We could perhaps use the pywikibot that I got working (which now just updates the Appimage page) to do the tedious copy pasting?. I'll try to ask the translation plugin authors if there is a fast way to do what we need.
How much work is it to copy/paste manually? I have a little too much right now with working on Crowdin translations to dedicate time to this.
cxe01263

Post by cxe01263 »

Dear, yorik.
Whether it is Auto translation or Manual translation will be the judgment of each individual.
I have read some interested wiki documents with automatic translation. Sketcher, loft, sweep etc. I am interested in surface and CAM because I have work experience in mold design at Pro / Engineer (PTC). It is unavoidable that FreeCAD terms(?) are unnecessarily translated, it seems that it can be interpreted about 90%. I think that it is an original rather than a auto translation that is difficult to understand.
I had planned the following process up to several days ago.

(1) Japanese translation
(2) Validate with FreeCAD operation
(3) Manual improvement proposal

(1) is skipping. I am considering contributing with (3) instead of (1). I am ROM(Read Only Member) while concentrating on (2).

Dear, Kunda1.
According to Language statistics the total number of documents is about 19,000 and only 4% of Japanese translation is completed.
> How much work is to copy / paste manually?
I feel dizzy. Individuals can not compete. An organizational approach is necessary.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

cxe01263 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:35 am Dear, Kunda1.
According to Language statistics the total number of documents is about 19,000 and only 4% of Japanese translation is completed.
> How much work is to copy / paste manually?
I feel dizzy. Individuals can not compete. An organizational approach is necessary.
No idea ATM. I'm currently engrossed in tackling another issue in regards to how we generate our translation files that we push to a 3rd party service that allows for crowd-sourcing translators. I also honestly don't know enough about the wiki (mediawiki) translation extension we use to translate the wiki.