Links on the download page hardly visible

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Re: Links on the download page hardly visible

Post by garya »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:21 pm I don't think that anybody can change the css file for the website, you may need Yorik for that.
I think I can do it without access to the css. Since it's specific to that page, at least at the moment, I'll see about doing it there.
Busy today, but will get to it asap.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Let's wait for Yorik's comments. I would prefer to have it in the css because other pages may have links too, and this page may get more of them. On the other side: currently the only other links are on the main page, and they should probably stay as they are.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

Hmmm... I don't know where any of the web pages are.
Are they all gitted up and mods would need to be submitted as for source code?
But I don't see a downloads.php in my source tree.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

If there's a change for this that needs to be implemented, the best way is to make a pull request against the homepage repo: https://github.com/freecad/freecad-homepage

Then once it's merged either Yorik or I can push the changes via FTP.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/issues/34 would help in these types of situations
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
garya

Post by garya »

garya wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm But I don't see a downloads.php in my source tree.
I have a sneaking suspicion that when I originally cloned the source tree there were options of what parts to clone, and one of them was website.
Is that the case?
If that is the case, can someone give me a hint of how to tell git to add "website" or whatever the subtree is that contains it?
I haven't been able to figure out how to ask git what pieces I have, and what all the possible pieces are.
If that's not the case, why can't I find downloads.php in my source tree?
AR795

Post by AR795 »

garya wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm Hmmm... I don't know where any of the web pages are.
Are they all gitted up and mods would need to be submitted as for source code?
But I don't see a downloads.php in my source tree.
First you would have to fork the repository at https://github.com/freecad/freecad-homepage, then you need to open up terminal and type:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/<insert-your-username-here>/freecad-homepage
From here on you can navigate the folder that was created and you would find the stylesheet in css/style.css

If I remember correctly, at the very end of the file you will find the following code that you can modify to change the color of the links on the downloads page:

Code: Select all

.download-notes p a {
	font-family: 'Roboto-Bold', sans-serif;
	color: #FFFFFF;
}
From here on you can commit your changes, push your branch and make a pull request.

Git can be a little confusing sometimes (I still remember the first time I made a commit and I got stuck after typing 'git commit' and not knowing how to quit the command :lol:)
garya

Post by garya »

AR795 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm First you would have to fork the repository at https://github.com/freecad/freecad-homepage, then you need to open up terminal and type:
Thanks, that's the piece I was missing.

You pointed to the code for the download-notes css.
There are also links at the bottom in the footer-custom area. They are also difficult to distinguish, so I will catch them as well.

I've never mixed windows and unix code. Do I need to worry about making line terminators consistent within the file?
I notice the .css files have windows terminators <cr><lf>.
I'm thinking mixing is ok but wanted to check before checking stuff in. I can force the <cr> if necessary or if it will make things easier for someone.
AR795 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm Git can be a little confusing sometimes (I still remember the first time I made a commit and I got stuck after typing 'git commit' and not knowing how to quit the command :lol:)
I have to look everything up again and again and again and again...
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

If there are files with Windows line endings which you'll be updating feel free to convert them.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
garya

Post by garya »

Should appear shortly; pull request in (I think)