Links on the download page hardly visible

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Links on the download page hardly visible

Post by chrisb »

On the download page it is difficult to distinguish the links from the regular text. I know that the are there, so I can find them, but newcomers can hardly see them and perhaps this is a reason for some questions.

With default colors it is very easy to quickly scan a page and see the links. Can this be improved? Perhaps with an extra links area? Here is an example from the Linux section.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-08 um 23.12.57.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-08 um 23.12.57.png (32.25 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Re: Links on the download page hardly visible

Post by garya »

ouch. I had no idea they were even there. I had to move the pointer over them to get the cursor to change. Once I noticed the boldface on the second link I could find the rest. Or at least some of them. The default for links on a web page is (or at least used to be; I think still is) an underline. That alone would be enough to make them stand out.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Underline is good. Any suggestions for a colour that improves distinguishability further without looking awkward?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm Underline is good. Any suggestions for a colour that improves distinguishability further without looking awkward?
I'm probably not the right person to voice an opinion on this. Things I like because they are easy to see are probably too garish. Whatever the color, probably not particularly highly saturated. I tried 0xf8e3c2 and it looked ok. One might play with it a bit on a color wheel to see how much saturation you can use without being too in-your-face.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you show somewhere how it looks?
garya

Post by garya »

I hope I'm not wasting bandwidth here.
3 files attached, increasing saturation.
These are not perfect mock-ups; the text is originally anti-aliased. These were a selection of "most" of the text pixels and filling them all with the same color.
The original hue was very unscientifically arrived at; I spun the gimp color wheel until I found something I thought would work, and then picked a saturation I thought looked "ok".
Sorry the images are so large; I wanted to get some text on both backgrounds.
Attachments
f8e3c2.png
f8e3c2.png (82.42 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
f8d297.png
f8d297.png (82.48 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
f8c16b.png
f8c16b.png (82.58 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would vote for second or third, all three of them are are easy to read. Is it possible to have both, underline and color. As you mentioned above, underline makes them easily identifiable as links.
I appreciate your concerns about bandwidth, but I have seen much worse spoiling.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 am I would vote for second or third, all three of them are are easy to read. Is it possible to have both, underline and color. As you mentioned above, underline makes them easily identifiable as links.
I appreciate your concerns about bandwidth, but I have seen much worse spoiling.
Yes, I thought the 2nd or 3rd looked best also. Yes, you can have both.
In a .css file it would be something like:
a:link { text-decoration: underline; color:#f8d297; }
and in an individual link ref:
<a href="https://forum.freecadweb.org/" style="text-decoration: underline; color: f8d297;">FreeCAD Forum</a>
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:02 pm Yes, I thought the 2nd or 3rd looked best also. Yes, you can have both.
In a .css file it would be something like:
a:link { text-decoration: underline; color:#f8d297; }
and in an individual link ref:
<a href="https://forum.freecadweb.org/" style="text-decoration: underline; color: f8d297;">FreeCAD Forum</a>
There seem to be no more comments, so you may implement it as you wish.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I don't think that anybody can change the css file for the website, you may need Yorik for that.