wiki PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_I needs a refresh

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

wiki PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_I needs a refresh

Post by david69 »

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PartDes ... Tutorial_I

can somebody give a glance to this page and consider an up-date, pls?

should we move this demand to part-design forum?
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: wiki PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_I needs a refresh

Post by HarryGeier »

No ,. actually not needed. I don´t know if ou can also see.. normandc once started a new version in a sandbox page.

I thinbk in few days, once 0.18 is completely released to the publich , we should ovehaul all tutorials . Even most 0.17 centric ones are obsolete by then.

I will surely take the very basic part design one again and rework for 0.18 .

I will make a lot of sence that we create a thread on 0.18 upgrading of tutorials to discuss and fix:

Which ones to be reworked or even deleted
What is missing
Who does what
HOW to do them so they can be the same in ALL languages

etc. etc..

But.. not before the main page says 0.18
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

HarryGeier wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm normandc once started a new version in a sandbox page.
As explained in the quite visible banner on top of the PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_I page... :|

My rework is about 90% complete but I haven't found the motivation to finish it. :oops:

Sandbox:PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_I

Unfortunately, once we move its content to the original page, all the existing translations will disappear.

I also want to add a new section, as I don't agree with the "Machining" section. I would leave it as is, but provide an alternate method with creating a new Body and using the first as a base feature. That way you'd have the cast part, and the machined part linked to it.

HarryGeier wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm we should ovehaul all tutorials .
If there's a volunteer, there's also Part II that requires a complete overhaul: PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_II

david69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:32 pm should we move this demand to part-design forum?
The PartDesign forum, as its description clearly states, is for discussing development (programming) of the workbench. Discussing the wiki over there is not relevant.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I didn't well expressed myself, apologize. I was thinking about the banner on the top of the page:

"This tutorial was originally written for a now deprecated development version of FreeCAD. This tutorial requires a complete rewrite to align with the PartDesign changes that will be in the upcoming v0.17 release. Rewrite was started in Sandbox:PartDesign Bearingholder Tutorial I. If you want to participate, please post to the Wiki section of the forum. - NormandC"

may be simply put a link to the new page even if it is not completed yet. anyway, it's not crucial.

I agree with you
HarryGeier wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm Which ones to be reworked or even deleted
What is missing
Who does what
HOW to do them so they can be the same in ALL languages
and follow you
NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:29 pm all the existing translations will disappear.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

david69 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 am may be simply put a link to the new page even if it is not completed yet.
Please look again, the banner already contains a link to it. Haven't you noticed that the page name is blue, while the rest of the text is black?
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

yes i've seen it and it is saying "This tutorial requires a complete rewrite to align with the PartDesign changes that will be in the upcoming v0.17 release".

Knowing the 0.18 is nearby, I would simply write:
"This tutorial was originally written for a now deprecated development version of FreeCAD 0.16. Please refer to Sandbox:PartDesign Bearingholder Tutorial I and PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_II. If you want to participate, please post to the Wiki section of the forum. - NormandC"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Those two tutorials were written years before the 0.16 release, they never worked in regular FreeCAD, one needed to compile a very specific development branch that is long gone, so it would be incorrect to write this. To refer to "PartDesign_Bearingholder_Tutorial_II" is not logical either, it is just as outdated as Part I. I really don't see how what you propose is best than the current text.