wiki/Interface_Customization

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kaktus
Veteran

wiki/Interface_Customization

Post by kaktus »

Hello.
:mrgreen:

The document lacks the graphic file ...
wycinek4.png
wycinek4.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 880 times
file: UserdefSymbstrip.jpg
Has it been removed or is it not available :?:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
vocx
Veteran

Re: wiki/Interface_Customization

Post by vocx »

kaktus wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:38 pm ...
Has it been removed or is it not available :?:
You can see the change history of wiki pages. In this way you can see when the text was added.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... did=524500

It seems this image was added by user "Maker", barely a couple of days ago, on 22nd November. This means that either he forgot to attach the image or it is still a work in progress.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Okay, so it all became clear. :lol:

If I want to add a screenshot in the Polish language version, I have to load the appropriate files and edit this record - right?
Are there any rules with guidelines?
:geek:
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kaktus wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm Okay, so it all became clear. :lol:

If I want to add a screenshot in the Polish language version, I have to load the appropriate files and edit this record - right?
Are there any rules with guidelines?
:geek:
Please read WikiPages for the basic guidelines. It's a long document, but you should familiarize with it little by little if you plan on making many edits to the wiki.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I've got it open in the next tab. It is really useful.

I wonder if there are any guidelines on how to create graphic file names, and so on. Including language versions.
Or maybe there is a complete freedom?

When certain things are systematized, then everyone works well and pleasantly. ;)

ps
This page is also helpful:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Help:Editing
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kaktus wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:53 pm I've got it open in the next tab. It is really useful.

I wonder if there are any guidelines on how to create graphic file names, and so on. Including language versions.
Or maybe there is a complete freedom?

When certain things are systematized, then everyone works well and pleasantly. ;)
There aren't hard guidelines because being too strict is going to discourage contributions. First we need to have more documentation, and little by little we can make it more standardized. But see WikiPages.
WikiPages wrote: Give a meaningful name to your image. If you have a picture that showcases the characteristics of a particular command, you should use the same name as the command with _example at the end.

For the command Draft_Offset the image should be called Draft_Offset_example.jpg.
For the command Arch_Space the image should be called Arch_Space_example.jpg.
In the case of other languages, I think it's sensible to add a two-letter language identifier, like Draft_Offset_example_pl.jpg.

Obviously, to avoid doing too much work, images should be language neutral when possible. If you need to add an explanation it is better to add a caption text using a template, {{Caption|Some information about the image here}}. This is what I normally do. Then you don't need to translate the image, only the explanation on the caption.

I normally try to name images with a prefix that indicates what part of the system they describe. In most cases, this could be a workbench name: "Draft_something_something.png", "Part_placement_support_plane_3points.png", "FEM_mesh_stress_results.png".

Many images are dedicated to general FreeCAD dialogs and windows, so for them I use "FreeCAD_" as prefix.

Maybe I should write more comprehensive guidelines, but I also don't want to set too many rules that will discourage people from participating.

A big problem is that only a handful of users generally edit the wiki documentation. And translators aren't active enough. Basically only French and Italian translations are up to date. But other translators for German, Spanish, Russian, Romanian, etc., occasionally make translations, and then disappear and don't stick around. We need more people willing to contribute constantly, not only once.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Hi.

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking part in the discussion and for sharing your opinion.
These matters may seem obvious to you, but for a novice like me they are important issues that are worth knowing. :)

I understand the problems that the vocx colleague mentions.
I am with you briefly, I have only translated 53 documents (including some completed ones), and I know that the update can be a pain in the butt. :lol:

During these few days when I'm working on translations, the writers generated 452 new records, and modified 220.
This is a heavy workload. It delays the translation of new documents. :roll:

But that's not the point.
It was, it is and it will be.

Fortunately, I am so crazy that I may be able to translate (alone) all the documentation. :lol: I wonder how long it will take me.
At this moment there are 1333 documents left to translate.
It's not much ... :mrgreen:

Okay, no more whining.

I asked about graphics for translations because this is what one of the experienced users of the Polish forum suggested.
All in all, now I don't know what to do ... :roll:
Laziness will probably win.

All changes in the content of the documents, and their quantity I control on this list: Language statistics.
It's a very convenient compendium. :idea:
For each document it would be useful to have some more information about the user who has recently been translating.

Thank everyone for their valuable insights.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kaktus wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 pm I asked about graphics for translations because this is what one of the experienced users of the Polish forum suggested.
All in all, now I don't know what to do ...
If an image must be translated to be useful, I would suggest to open a new topic here to discuss it. As vocx says, ideally images would be able to be captioned and not translated.

And, Thanks for your work! The project values people like you :)
"fight the good fight"
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Hi.

Thank you for your kind words.

Today, few people pay attention to the world around them and the people around them.

This is not good, you can lose yourself quickly.

That's why it's worth trying to notice people around, support them with a good word and be helpful. In the future it will come back to us.

Maybe some people will think I'm a freak, but I don't mind. :D When I can do something good, I selflessly just do it. :roll: