Image Module should be Image Workbench

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
chrisb

Image Module should be Image Workbench

Postby chrisb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 am

To be consistent with other workbenches the "Image Module" should be renamed to "Image Workbench". The old name should probably remain for redirection.
vocx

Re: Image Module should be Image Workbench

Postby vocx » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 am
To be consistent with other workbenches the "Image Module" should be renamed to "Image Workbench". The old name should probably remain for redirection.
This should be done for every workbench, including Part, Draft, and others. The problem is that the words "module" and "workbench" aren't clearly defined, and some people like using them interchangeably.

I have mentioned several times in this forum that I would like to see consistency. To me, it makes sense to use the word "workbench" for a complete extension with its own Gui Commands, toolbars, buttons, etc. Meanwhile, the word "module" can be reserved for extensions that are "under the hood", and which don't provide tools to create something.

For example, the Addon Manager has a folder under Mod/ but it is not a "workbench", it is a "module". "Tux" is also a "module", which adds some enhancements to the interface.

The main difference to me is that a "workbench" is really usable by users to create something or perform an action in the 3D view, and a "module" only includes auxiliary tools. However, I feel that older powerusers fundamentally don't want to make this distinction.

In the programming sense, in Python, a "module" is basically any Python file that can be imported

Code: Select all

import my_module
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:44 am

From a user's point of view - and the wiki is probably mostly for them - a workbench is whatever can be selected with the workbench selector. It's exactly these which should be called "workbench", no more no less.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm

chrisb wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:44 am
From a user's point of view - and the wiki is probably mostly for them - a workbench is whatever can be selected with the workbench selector. It's exactly these which should be called "workbench", no more no less.
I agree. However, as you can see from the documentation, in the past these were referred to as "Modules", the Part Module, the Draft Module, the Image Module, etc. So, there was inconsistency since the beginning.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.