how to mark a page as work in progress

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

how to mark a page as work in progress

Post by uwestoehr »

The MediaWiki has a template to mark a page as work in progress:

{{Page in progress}}

, however, this is not supported by FC's Wiki. So how is this done in FC?
(I wanted to mark the page TechDraw_Preferences)
vocx
Veteran

Re: how to mark a page as work in progress

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:11 am however, this is not supported by FC's Wiki. So how is this done in FC?
Like any other page that doesn't exist, just click on the red link, and create the template. Once you save the template, it will be available wherever you have inserted it.

However, I suggest you don't create too many new templates; it's best to keep the number of templates small, and avoid single-purpose templates.

For example, in the wiki there is already the {{UnfinishedDocu}} template. It was thought for GuiCommand pages so the text that it displays is strange for general use. But it still works in my opinion to warn about the status of the page. The good thing about this template is that it also categorizes the page in an "unfinished category" so you can find it again afterwards to finish the job.

Otherwise, you don't need a template at all, you can just write at the top of the page something like "This page is a work in progress, do not translate yet".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

vocx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:30 am Like any other page that doesn't exist, just click on the red link, and create the template. Once you save the template, it will be available wherever you have inserted it.
OK I created it: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Templat ... n_progress
and documented the usage here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/WikiPag ... rary_Flags
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I am seeing pages where the 'In progress' template is inserted and then nothing much happens to the page for more than two month. IMO this is not the intended use.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm I am seeing pages where the 'In progress' template is inserted and then nothing much happens to the page for more than two month. IMO this is not the intended use.
It depends. if you think it is not in progress, please contact the author who once set this tag. If he doesn't reply you can replace it with a tag like "help needed" to improve the page.