Docnav: Use command names or menu names?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Docnav: Use command names or menu names?

Post by Roy_043 »

I am working on the wiki pages for the Std_File menu. The texts of several menu options do not match with the names of the linked command.

Example: Menu item "Exit" calls the Std_Quit command.

This makes me doubt what should be entered in the Docnav: "Exit", "Quit" or "Std Quit"?

Example page:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Std_RecentFiles
vocx
Veteran

Re: Docnav: Use command names or menu names?

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:08 pm This makes me doubt what should be entered in the Docnav: "Exit", "Quit" or "Std Quit"?
I'd use the actual command name, so Std_Quit.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The problem is that this would be inconsistent when compared to other pages.
Example:
On the Draft_Wire page, in the Docnav, there are "Line" and "Wire" links. Not "Draft_Line" and "Draft_Wire".
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hi, I strongly propose to use lay-men expressions/denotions on the screen / in the UI.

Think of it like this: a line can be straight or/and curved, 1D, 2D or 3D. A curve can only be 2D or 3D. Lay-men shall not be bothered with the technical nit-picking going on in the background. The programmers/developers job is to pick apart the (simplyfied)reality we lay-men live in. Sort it, dissect it, make sens of it, do something meaningful with it and then show it on the screen in a way we lay-men find it useful and simple to utilize.

I suggest this principle goes everywhere in the UI.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:26 am I suggest this principle goes everywhere in the UI.
I am talking about the wiki documentation. I do not propose to change the names in the FreeCAD menus. Although there are multiple inconsistencies there as well.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:36 am The problem is that this would be inconsistent when compared to other pages.
Example:
On the Draft_Wire page, in the Docnav, there are "Line" and "Wire" links. Not "Draft_Line" and "Draft_Wire".
Well, I have an informal rule that I haven't been consistent with, but I want to use more. If the link happens within the same workbench, you omit the prefix. So, Line and Wire. Once you are talking about a command in a different workbench, then you use the prefix, like "PartDesign Body".

So, if you are editing a page that belongs to the Standard Base system, I'd use Quit. Elsewhere in the other workbenches, you would use Std_Quit.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

For now (...) I have decided to use page titles in the Docnav (with prefix, but without underscore):
  1. This matches the standard for wiki links.
  2. The prefix is also displayed for buttons.
  3. For these specific pages (Std_File menu) avoiding menu names may be more convenient for translators.
  4. Also: menu names are perhaps more likely to change.