a foreign wiki page not linked to the master English one

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

a foreign wiki page not linked to the master English one

Post by david69 »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_FillHoles/fr

this page is not linked to the English one.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: a foreign wiki page not linked to the master English one

Post by Roy_043 »

I have updated (rewritten) the command documentation for the Mesh workbench.

In the process I encountered 3 commands that already had two pages.
Also I have created (in one case: recreated) 6 pages for commands that had a single page with a faulty name.
On top of that there were 6 pages for sub-options of the Mesh_BuildRegularSolid command that should not exist.

All of this means that there are 15 pages that are now obsolete. For all of these pages redirects have been created:
Mesh_EvaluateRepair
Mesh_EvaluateCurvature
Mesh_CurvaturePlot
Mesh_FillHoles
Mesh_AddTriangle
Mesh_CreateMeshSegment
Mesh_Smooth
Mesh_Cube
Mesh_Cylinder
Mesh_Cone
Mesh_Sphere
Mesh_Ellipsoid
Mesh_Torus
Mesh_TrimMesh
Mesh_TrimMeshWithPlane

If you try to visit the English version of your page you should notice the redirection. You can click on the (Redirected from ...) link.

Additionally I have marked 3 Mesh related pages for deletion (mainly because I did not know where to redirect them).
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p418500
The English versions of these pages have already been deleted:
Mesh_SelectMesh
Mesh_SplitMesh
Mesh_MakeSegment
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 pm All of this means that there are 15 pages that are now obsolete. For all of these pages redirects have been created:
Mesh_Cube
Mesh_Cylinder
Mesh_Cone
Mesh_Sphere
Mesh_Ellipsoid
Mesh_Torus
Personally, I think these commands should exist separately, just like the Part Workbench has separate commands for Part Box, Part Cylinder, Part Cone, etc. The Mesh Workbench essentially parallels the Part Workbench, but works with meshes instead of solid shapes. Maybe at some point in the future this could be done.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I've discovered the redirection of the above page later as I was translating couple of pages.

and yes i've noted many "new" pages for the Mesh workbench.

so in that case, orphan pages like https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_FillHoles/fr can be deleted.

@vocx, I'm not sure to understand you with
I think these commands should exist separately
That's what Roy has made, no?
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_FillHoles was redirected without following all the steps, so the translated pages remained orphaned.

In these cases, before creating the redirect, I suggest deleting the content, removing the page from the translation, and then creating the redirect.
EDIT: I have verified that the translated pages also remain with this procedure. We have to put the redirect immediately on all the translated pages, otherwise it is difficult for translators identify these changes.

However it is not a big problem, just create the redirect in orphaned pages: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... edirect=no
Last edited by renatorivo on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

david69 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 pm so in that case, orphan pages like https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_FillHoles/fr can be deleted.
I have chosen to redirect them. But I do not know what is wiser here. What happens to these redirects? Will they remain in the wiki DB for 10 years? Or do they get deleted automatically after some time (when not used)?

david69 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 pm I'm not sure to understand
What vocx means is that he would like to see the Mesh_BuildRegularSolid command from the Mesh workbench removed and 6 separate commands created for its options. This is not yet the case, so we should not have separate pages in the documentation at this moment.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:39 pm ...This is not yet the case, so we should not have separate pages in the documentation at this moment.
Yes. At this moment it does not make sense to have separate pages, because in the software itself we don't have separate commands, we only have one command that does many things.

To me, the best solution would be to have separate commands, so we can have separate wiki pages, one for each command. This is essentially how the Part Workbench is structured.

For example, with Part Primitives we can create primitive shapes, but most of them can also be created by individual buttons.

So, in this case, Mesh_BuildRegularSolid could be kept, and we could write separate commands for the individual mesh objects.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I better understand what vocx is talking about.