No - changes needed :?:

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Re: No - changes needed :?:

Post by david69 »

Kaktus, you may see an other wave of cosmetic changes but as we say it gives a consistance and helps for futur translators.

as i am applying the changes i've made on the source pages to the French wiki, i have remarked:

Code: Select all

{{Docnav
|[[Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident|Coincident]]
|[[Sketcher_ConstrainVertical|Vertical]]
|[[Sketcher_Workbench|Sketcher]]
|IconL=Constraint_PointOnPoint.svg
|IconR=Constraint_Vertical.svg
|IconC=Workbench_Sketcher.svg
}}
the naming of the icon is not the same as the naming of the page. i only discovered it now. it appears that there is a matching between the two and guess what? the pages i've encountering with this mismatch, i am fixing them.
it becomes:

Code: Select all

{{Docnav
|[[Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident|Coincident]]
|[[Sketcher_ConstrainVertical|Vertical]]
|[[Sketcher_Workbench|Sketcher]]
|IconL=Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident.svg
|IconR=Sketcher_ConstrainVertical.svg
|IconC=Workbench_Sketcher.svg
}}
feel free to do the same thing if you encounter such mismatch. fyi, I always check the result before to validate with the preview, just to make sure it works.

but for Workbench_Sketcher.svg, there is no Sketcher_Workbench.svg. i've tried and it failed.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

:!:

please comment and stop this practice.

I am posting two screenshots where one person makes corrections to spite the other ... :twisted:

this is not an isolated incident...
Attachments
Firefox_Screenshot_2021-03-21T14-11-30.184Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2021-03-21T14-11-30.184Z.png (131.67 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Firefox_Screenshot_2021-03-21T14-33-11.358Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2021-03-21T14-33-11.358Z.png (140.39 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@kaktus:
I think you know that I am responsible for these edits, and also that I have spent quite some time on them. Why do you focus on this, surely very minor, detail?
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Hi Roy.

I have not analysed who was the author of these changes.
I simply feel disgusted. :roll:
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I think you exaggerate. This is at most a minor inconvenience. But I'll try to avoid this in the future.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It happens sometimes that people have different opinions on how things should be described in the wiki. Sometimes changes happen unattanded and are just seen as improvements. If a conflict is detected, it shouldn't be solved by reverting or overwriting. Instead it should be discussed among a broader audience. That's what this forum is for.

With the increasing number of posts a discussion may be unattended, then you should just ping some other users.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 amIt happens
I do not understand your comment in the context of kaktus's complaint. Also: there is no broader audience. Only a handful of people are active on the wiki.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

kaktus wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:02 am ...

This work is certainly an additional burden, especially for small teams. And this should be borne in mind.

Over the last year, I have made 19.1k editions, most of which are adjustments and corrections, and only a small number of which are documentation in my language. :roll:

That is why I believe that every cosmetic change, correction, amendment should be very thought through and condensed.

It is my opinion on such changes that I want to remind you of again.
Roy don't take it personally.
Roy_043 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:10 am ... But I'll try to avoid this in the future.
I am happy about that. :D

The last example given, presents a lack of consistency on the part of the editor.
The result is disastrous.
Documentation in 63 languages is being degraded. There is a huge amount of work that has to be done.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Most translations are not up to date. And it is not these details that have caused this. Again you exaggerate. AFAIKT only 4, maybe 5, languages have active translators. Other languages can be up to 7 or more years behind.